Chapter Three

Leaning against the car door, I patiently waited for Kim. The events of the day replaying in my mind. After I had stuck out my tongue and still had it out, Joey thought it'd be funny to take a picture. It was not. His chuckling laughter filled my head like a song, an awful song at that. I began chewing at the bottom of my lip.

Nothing interesting happened the rest of the day. It was a typical day at school. Kim had already began flirting with new guys to get past the heartbreak. Kimberly approached. Her light pink flowy short skirt bounced with each step. Her gray tank top no longer tucked in. Besides her walked Ian. His black hair was brushed back and his brown eyes glinted. Kimberly was laughing at his jokes. 

Great, they'll be together by the end of the week. My smile faded. They paused a few yards away and she did her usual flirting tricks before running to me. "Hey," she casually greeted. "Hey. How's Ian," I mumbled. A mischievous grin spread across her face, her eyes twinkled. "He's good," she replied looking at the ground.

"Do you think he'll ask you out," I questioned as I got in. She sat down and looked at me as if I've gone crazy. "Duh. Why wouldn't he? According to me I'm one of the two hottest girls in the school," she stated proudly. I raised my eyebrows with curiosity. "'One of the two'? Who's the other girl? And who said," I pressed. 

Turning away, she stared at the steering wheel. She mumbled something I couldn't comprehend. I nudged her harshly. "You're the other girl.....  And well... Everyone. Every guy I dated. Every girl. Except Joey he said only you were," she admitted. My eyes widened in surprise, while hers looked ashamed.  "Why me? I'm miss foreveralone," I said. She looked as though she was ready to hit me. 

"By choice! You don't have to be forever alone. You could just date Joey," she exclaimed  throwing her hands in the air. Looking away she brought the car to life. The school faded slowly as we went further away. I closed my eyes and hummed along to the song, letting the minutes slip away.

As the car slowed to a stop, I got out. With my eyes to the floor, I began walking. The other door slammed shut and Kimberly began running. "Wait up," she breathed. For the first time since we got here I glanced up. This was definitely not my house.  I stared at her with confusion.

Without another word she dragged me towards the park. We sat on opposite sides of the bench. "Why are we-" I began. "Shhh!" she interrupted. "But-" I tried. "Shhh!" she repeated. I sighed in defeat. My gaze flickered over the trees then the playing. Oh, how innocent they are. Not a care in the world and blissfully happy. Completely unaware of what was to soon hit them. Shifting my gaze I looked at the parking lot then at Kim.

I opened my mouth to speak. Her glare told me otherwise. Kimberly shifted in her spot, sitting up straight. Her hands flew to her hair. Her hands picked at invisible messy spots. Rolling my eyes I watched her. "Hey."

Squeezing my eyes shut I took in a breath. Plastering on a small I turned around. There stood Joey and Ian. I shot Kim an accusing look before facing the boys. "Hi," I greeted. Joey smile widened. Ian's gaze flickered over me, inspecting what he could before he met Kim's. "Hey," she breathed.

"Sit," she said motioning. Joey sat beside me while Ian sat by Kim. "Thanks for inviting us," Joey whispered in my ear. I cocked an eyebrow but said nothing. "I'm so glad you agreed to go out with me. Even if it's just a double date," he continued. Kimberly. I looked at her. She shrugged an apology but her smile only grew. She set me up!

Ian whispered in Kimberly's ear causing her to giggle. This whole situation was boring me. Turning to Joey I said, "Wanna go swing?" Joey nodded eagerly. Swinging my feet over I looked at him. "Race yah," I yelled. Pushing myself I began sprinting. Several yards away Joey followed. A huge grin spread across his face. He reminded me of a dog. Taking in a breath, I pushed onward. I smiled as I grabbed the swing. Hastily I grabbed it. A yard away was Joey, still sprinting. 

A few moments later he sat on the swing next to mine. I began swinging, gradually growing higher. I looked to Joey. He was staring at me. But his eyes were looking at anything but mine. I turned away. Typical boy. Glancing back, I saw he was still watching my chest. "Uh hm." Startled he looked up. 

His face grew red with embarrassment and his eyes widened. Suppressing a giggle I focused on my legs. Slowly I swung to a stop. My hands dangled on each side. Staring at the sky I counted the clouds. That grew annoying so I tried to decipher them.  One cloud caught my eye. It reminded me of a bunny. Below that bunny was a tiny city. 

I entertained the thought  while reality slipped away. I was quickly brought back when I felt something grab my hand. Jumping slightly I looked down. I looked at Joey. His hand was intertwined with mine. Upon seeing my expression he let go. 

"S-sorry. I don't want to make you uncomfortable," he said unsure. If I'm gonna pretend to be straight I should act like it. Sighing I grabbed his hand. A giant smile spread over his features. I glanced towards Kim. From the distance I could see her lips crashing into Ians. Jealousy spread throughout me. In unison Joey and I continued swinging, hands still together. The moments dragged on. After what felt like hours Kimberly walked over.

"See," I heard Kim exclaim. I couldn't tell if she was talking to me or Ian but I didn't care. Strutting over Kim said, "Sorry to break up the party but we have to go Abi."

Suppressing a sigh of relief I stood. Hastily I walked towards Kimberly. "Bye," I called over my  shoulder towards Joey and Ian, giving them a small wave. I ran towards the car, leaving Kim.