Chapter Eight

My eyes were shut. I couldn't move. I figured I was in another state. Sleep, but not quite. My mind awake, but my body asleep. I could hear talking. Interns giving attendings status reports. An occasional murmur from what I could only guess was my mother. There was another voice. So soft, so sweet. A voice I recognised. I could feel someone stroking my hair. Whispering to me. I could make out their words. I willed to respond. To tell them not to worry. I fear that even when I wake, I won't be able to talk. There's something. Something in my mouth. Smooth and round. Long and curved. Pushing air inside my lungs, filling them. It was uncomfortable. But I could not remove it, not like this. I was on a ventilator.

"Abi.."

It was Kimberly. Her voice was breaking, she was the one who was whispering.

"I'm gonna go talk to the doctors."

I heard the door close. My mother was gone. I was alone with Kimberly.

"You'll be okay.. Just a little longer."

She paused to take in a breath. There was a tremble in the voice.

"Do you remember the day we met? We were at the park. And I uh, dared you to kiss that boy."

Michael. Yes, I remember that day very well. I was so innocent. My life had been so different if I had just stayed home. But I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

"You had looked so pretty. Back then I was a real troublemaker. When I saw how mad you were, something changed. IN your expression I saw how hurt you were. The embarrassment I put you through. It hurt me. I just wanted to see you happy. So I brought you under the slides."

She paused. Laughter filled the room. I don't think she expected me to hear. Yes, she was telling me but I was supposed to be asleep. At least that's how it looks. 

"As my hand held your chin, I saw your beauty. Oh how naive I was. I didn't expect to feel this way. Love was something I felt but couldn't understand. But when I saw you... you gave that word a whole new feeling. I couldn't resist. I couldn't help myself. Seeing how beautiful you were, I couldn't help myself. So I kissed you. It felt magical. Like all those books say it should be. That moment repeats constantly in my mind."

Her breathing was shaking. All this time I thought our feelings were one sided.

"I love you. But I can't be with you. You're not my soul mate. This isn't like every girl's dream in our own twisted version. I want you but I can't act like the child I once was. You are my bestfriend but you can't be anything more. I must get my five year old self's dream out of my head."

My heart broke. She was talking me, like she expected me to hear. Though at the same time, it felt like she didn't want me to. As she spoke, I could hear her voice crack.

"Just come back, and we'll move on. Forget this and be best friends. Abigail-"

"Miss, I'm sorry but you have to leave," a doctor said cutting her off. 

I heard her soft footsteps move away. The door gently closed. I felt my eyelids pulled apart. Though I couldn't see. It was all a blur. Sleep was still claiming me. Slowly I could put the outside together. They closed one, and opened the other.

"Pupils are equal and responsive."

From the way the man spoke, I knew there was another person. A soft scribbling filled the air. They were giving me a check up of sorts. 

"I think.... I think it's time to wean her off the vents."

"By wean, do you mean take it out?"

"Yes." 

My lips parted. Hands wrapped around the tube. There was a gentle tug. I took in a breath as the last part left my mouth. I wanted to smile, but still my body was asleep. It felt as though I was in some kind of parallel universe connected to this one.

"The drugs should wear off soon. She should be waking within the next hour. Get me when she does," the doctor ordered. I heard feet scurry away, followed by a soft chuckle. The door softly closed. I was alone, truly alone. 

No matter how much I tried my eyes wouldn't open. I had regained some body function. Like moving the slightest. To someone else, it would look like nothing.  I groaned. But to my dismay, even I couldn't hear it. 

"Status report."

Paper was being shuffled around, at least it sounded like it. "Patient is still not awake." What I assume is the intern sounded bored. "Although, I've noticed some moving. Can't be too much longer now."

"Good, good.."

I can do this. I can wake up. All my energy went to opening my eyes. I felt them pry slightly. After several minutes they opened wide. After a few blinks the world was clear. In the corner was the intern. His hair was a mess, and his eyes drooped low. Slowly I opened my mouth. 

"I'm awake," I said, voice trailing. It was so low even I could not hear it. 

"I'm awake."

"I'm awake."

"I'm awake."

I continued to repeat it. After several minutes the interns head lifted. He appeared excited. "Hi, I'm Dr. Dell," he said, a little too eagerly. There was a smile on his face. "I'm gonna take your vitals now. Okay," Dr. Dell asked. Feebly, I nodded. 

"She's awake," the intern said. Turning my head I saw the doctor walk in. He was a middle aged man, with grey hair. There were eye bags under his eyes and several wrinkles. "Surgery went well. Dr. Turner and Dr. Karev will be in here soon. In a few hours you'll be able to have visitors. For now relax. The intern and I will leave you to rest now." With a nod he left, intern trailing.

With a sigh, I looked at the ceiling. Despite being awake now, I was tired. Closing my eyes, I rested.