Chapter Twenty

The house loomed towards me. With each step, I can feel the bars closing in on me. My prison luring in. I stopped. Taking in the people passing, I envied them. Such a freedom they have. The next few moments unsure of what may happen. But as I stood here, a feeling of dread took over. I knew what would happen. Mother would act calm as day. Leaving me to go to my room, not to be seen or heard of until tomorrow. That would be okay, I could block out the world, isolate myself. Except it wasn't okay, it was wrong on so many levels.

This thing wasn't okay no part of it was. A mother who manipulated things and words to make everything seem okay. But I was in the wrong to, not that I'd admit it. Walking around like everything was okay, acting like I couldn't see what everyone was doing. I am lying to them and myself. No matter how many times I say everything is okay, I know it isn't. Taking a small step forward, I sighed. 

Soon enough I was at the door. My hand rested on the cool doorknob. I gripped it slightly. Silently, I turned the knob. A soft, yet firm voice sounded in the kitchen. Puckering my lips, I walked forward, nearing the kitchen. "John, this is too much.." Furrowing my brows I listened intently to my mother,

"No, John she doesn't know.."

But the next voice was one I didn't recognise. It was deep and hardened. But deep in the tone was a pain.

"She deserves to know."

I understood who this voice was as he responded. This was John. I could walk in there and demand answers but I felt as though this way I'd receive more. What didn't make sense was my mother's need for saying his name every time she spoke. Maybe it gave her some kind of courage to continue talking.

"John, she's not ready. After all, we've gone through in these past few months.."

"Mary please just-"

"It'll break her, John."

"What you're doing is breaking her! She's caged up in this house. You've made her home her prison. I don't think I can stand by and watch this happen any longer. I've stayed out of her life because I thought that was best. Now, now I see the truth. You are not what's best for her. Abigail needs space. I am her-"

"Don't say it. Don't. I raised her! Where were you?! You never tried to even contact her. Who are you to tell me how to raise my child? My daughter?" 

"I tried. I tried so hard. Mary, Abigail's not just your daughter.. And she's far from a child. She's eighteen, an adult. Treat her like an adult."

"Don't Mary me, John. While she's under my damn roof I'll treat her as I please. If you care so much, why'd you wait till she's an adult to show up?"

"You know why. I'll leave, but know this I'll be back.. Tell Abigail I said hi."

Quickly I looked around. I stood in the middle of the hallway, nowhere to hide, and I was blocking the way out. The sound of footsteps grew louder. But it was not two sets only one.. John. Frantically, I turned around. Walking fast towards the end of the long hallway. 

"Abigail," he whispered. Taking a breath I turned around. Standing before me was a tall black haired man, with gleaming green eyes. "I'm John," he whispered extending his hand. Grabbing his, I whispered, "Abigail," though I had a feeling he knew. A smile grew across his features. "Nice to finally miss you," he whispered. Silently he reached into his pocket. Pulling out a card, he handed it to me. "I'm sure you heard that so call me if you want some more answers."

Without another word, he walked out. Several moments later, I called out "I'm home!" "Okay hunny," she responded. Quickly, I ran upstairs.