Chapter Sixteen

I looked at the school before me. It looked just as I remembered it. Nothing had changed. Well, almost nothing. Everyone here was the same, lives left untouched. Standing here, you could see the division. Everyone hustled towards the front doors.

Though I was frozen, the world around me raced onward. Despite the hurry, everyone stayed several feet away. Desperately trying not to break, what they view as a fragile human. But I wasn't frozen still because of fear. The only thing holding me still was the thought that the day would continue. The simple thought of time passing angered me. For the faster the clock ticked, the sooner I'd be home. The sooner I'd return to my cell, once more caged in.

Slowly, I eased myself into a gentle pace. Trying not to disturb the crowd. No one seemed to notice anything different. Their bodies moved as they would any other day.  Eyes fixated on the world ahead, yet something felt off. The atmosphere had shifted. Only a tingle at first, now the air felt heavy. Each breath was an effort. People around me took bigger breaths, as we weaved our way to the next class. 

A gentle hand cupped my shoulder causing me to halt. "Hey," a weak voice said. Each second passed slower and slower. Smiling weakly, I turned and faced her. Brushing my hair back, my eyes darted from her to the floor. "Hi Kimberly," I mumbled. Dropping the smile, I looked her in her eyes. Beauty radiating back at me. The feelings now disappeared leaving a thin trail in its place. No longer did the desire for something more filled me. It was replaced by something stronger. Anger. Betrayal. 

"Don't be mad Abi," she whispered. I cringed slightly. Abi? She had practically abandoned me! Yet here she was acting like we were still cool. Only whispering at seeing my frustration. As if the toll of what she had done didn't affect me. "Don't be mad," I echoed. My anger seeping out. "Don't be mad," I repeated. Her eyes widened but her mouth remained shut. 

"I have an accident and you only bother to visit me in the hospital! As soon as I began healing, you were gone. Leaving me confused and wondering where the hell my best friend was. Then when you see me all you can say is. 'Hey.' Hey? That's all I get! Am I worth nothing to you? 'Don't be mad'? No, I'm not mad, I'm furious. Had this been the other way around, I would've been by your side. Fighting through it with you. You don't even bother to wish me a happy birthday! Or have you forgotten? You probably only remembered me because I was right here. Standing before you."

Turning on my heels, I stormed towards my first class. Glancing back, I saw Kimberly standing there. Mouth gaping open, eyes widened. Smiling slightly, I entered my class just as the bell had rung. Picking my way through the kids I made it to my desk. Closing my eyes, I sighed. "Hey."