27. Becoming More Than Friends

Sunday September 5

Trish's P.O.V.

I stretch in my bed and look over at my alarm clock.  It's Sunday morning and I promised Jason I'd go to church with him and his mom.  I've never met Mrs. Arnold, but from what I've heard, she sounds very nice. 

I have about 30 minutes before Jason said his mom will come get me.  I quickly take a shower and then put on the dress I wore to my cousin's wedding.  It's a purple dress with a black piece of see through fabric over it with sparkles, spaghetti straps, and it stops just before my knees.  I put on a pair of black flats to match my dress and finish getting ready.

At exactly 7:45 a.m., the Arnolds pull up in their car, and I race downstairs to meet them.  The whole ride is pretty quiet.  It's not that it's an uncomfortable silence, more like a peaceful one.  While we're on our way there, I sit back and relax and take in the silence as I remember last night. 

It was so perfect.  Jason and I were really getting along and Dylan was nice.  I felt like Maya seemed kind of tense, but maybe I was just imagining that.  Anyway, I couldn't help but feel a connection between me and Jason.  I know the first time we were together it didn't go so well, but we're older now and we've both changed.

~~~After church

Since Jason is free for the rest of the day, we decided that we should hang out. 

"So. What should we do?" Jason asks me.

"Well.  The dance is coming up.  Maybe you could help me decide what dress I should wear?"

"Do you have to go buy one or do you already have one?"

"I was thinking about buying a new one."

"Ok then, let's go."

"How are we going to get there?"

"I was thinking we could walk.  Not unless you have a better idea?  I mean, my mom's already at work..."

"No, I guess that's ok.  It really stinks though that we can't drive."

"Yeah, I know what you mean.  I'm soon 16 though.  In about a month I can get my permit, but then my mom will have to be in the car."

"Yep.  It's pretty crappy.  Sometimes I just one be on my own and going for a little spin would be so nice."

"Agreed."

We arrive at the little vibrant dress store.  Jason opens the door for me and I lead us inside.  It's a small and quiet shop, but it has lots of character.  Dresses ranging of all colors of the rainbow are scattered across the room on hanger after hanger.  For a small store, it holds a lot of items.  There are dresses for all occasions too.  Some are for weddings, dances, parties, and other events. 

"See anything you like?" Jason asks curiously.

"Hm..."  I glance around the room carefully until I spot an area with the perfect type of dresses, "Over there!"

Jason looks around the room, "Where?  They're dresses everywhere."

I laugh and grab his arm, guiding him to the spot I was talking about.  I can already tell that I picked the right place to start.

I look up at him.  I hold back my laughter.  He looks like a kid who just walked into a room that's completely edible at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, amazed and yet suspicious.  It's almost as if he's never been in a dress store like this (which he probably hasn't) , but at the same time he isn't sure if it's actually right in front of him. 

"It's a lot to take in, isn't it?" I ask him, grinning.

"Definitely."

"Ok, so which ones are you going to try on?"

"All of them."

"No, seriously."

"All of them."

Jason turns to stare at me.  He gives me a look that says "no way."  Instead, he says, "That, would take all day.  Maybe more."

I roll my eyes at him.  "Jeez.  I was only kidding."

He grins.  "So was I."

I roll my eyes again.  Boys.  They're such goofs.

"So, which ones should I start with?"

Jason slowly walks around the rack of dresses for events such as a school dance.  "Hm..."  He walks around a second time, even slower than the first time.  I'm pretty sure he's deliberately trying to aggravate me.

"Are you done yet?"

"Nope."

"And you were worried about me taking forever?"

"Sorry, I'm just so memorized by all the sparkly dresses."  He then gives an innocent smile.

"However, I do like a few."

"Which ones?"

He goes over and grabs a few different dresses.  He then places them in my hands and raises his eyebrow at me.

"I did my work.  Now it's your turn."

I go back to the changing room and try on all five dresses he gave me.  I decide to show him the red one, which I think fits and looks the best on me.

I open the door to the changing room and look around for him.  He's sitting nearby texting on his phone.  I walk over to him and stop directly in front of him.

"What do you think?"

He slides his phone back into the pocket of his jeans before looking at me.  The expression on his face immediately changes.  He then stands up and I spin around.

"Do you like it?"

"Wow.  You look...  so..." 

Is Jason Arnold actually blushing?  I can' t believe I'm making him blush.

"I want to say you look beautiful, but..  I don't think that words strong enough.  It's worn out too much..  I know, you look pulchritudinous."

I can't control the laughter that comes out of my mouth.  "Nice word choice, Arnold."

He grins at me and takes a step towards me.  "You weren't expecting that, now were you?"

"No, actually I wasn't."

There isn't much space between us now.  I quickly close the space and then I wrap my arms around his neck.  He leans down instantly and wraps his arms around my waist.  Our lips met instantaneously.  We're still kissing when a voice interrupts us.

"Jason?  Is that you?"

We pull apart and turn to see who it is.  Maya is standing there looking at the two of us standing in our embrace.  She has this weird look on her face.  Almost as if she's jealous, but that can't be.  She's got Dylan and, she seems perfectly happy with him.  Or maybe that's the problem.. maybe she wants Jason instead.

I unconsciously pull him closer.  He doesn't resist me at all, but I can tell Maya wants him to.  She's looking at me like she wants to tell me off, but he doesn't seem to notice at all.  What's her problem?

Author's Note

Woo!! New chapter!! And it only took me...about 5 hours! I was distracted though..Anyway, I will be making a sequel once this novel is over, which will be sometime..in the future.  Thank you for reading!  I hope to upload sooner now that school has less than 2 months left!