20. Hero

Friday September 3

Jason's P.O.V.

I'm walking around the upstairs of Zack's house looking for Maya when I hear a commotion downstairs.  My thoughts immediately jump to Maya and I run down the stairs searching for her.  Instead of finding Maya, I run into Claire who smiles at me seductively. 

"Hey Jason," she purrs.

"Hey Claire.  Have you seen Maya?"

"Nope.  Hey, what do you say we go upstairs and kiss a little?"

I stare at her momentarily forgetting my mission.  Kiss?  Her?  Now?  Two words.  Definitely not.  "No thanks I got to go find Maya."

She pouts and grabs onto my arm, but I pull away and run in the direction from where the noise was coming from earlier. 

This guy who is about 6 '5  and has dark black hair is holding on to Maya and getting ready to drag her upstairs with him. 

I can't let him do that.  No.  She's my friend and I won't let him hurt her.  I suddenly feel this burst of energy and an urge to protect Maya.  The urge isn't just any urge though.  You know how you want to protect someone?  Well this is way more.  It's like she's my princess and I'm her warrior or say she's a celebrity and I'm her guard.

I quickly act.  I run forward and jump onto the guy's back.  He drops Maya and she falls on the stairs unconscious. 

He attempts to throw me off, but it doesn't work.  I wrap my arms tighter around his neck to hold on better.  He keeps jerking back and forth between left and right, but can't get me off.  He's getting really mad now.  He takes both of his arms and puts them behind him, using them to yank me off his back.

I fall onto the floor with only a small amount of pain.  The guy has turned around and I can now see who it is.  Roy Richards.  I highly dislike him for many reasons.  I pull myself back towards the wall in an effort to gain myself some space to fight back, but he grabs hold of me and kicks me in the ribs.  Before he can do anything else I pull him down and we start wrestling. 

The back door to the house opens and I can hear people screaming because they seem me fighting with Roy.  Roy makes a grab for my neck, but I push his hands away and we continue to roll around on the floor.  Roy shoves me underneath him and gets up.  He then throws me against the wall. 

Pain soars through my body, but I force myself to get back up and face Roy.  Chaos is filling the room as people are screaming and carrying on, but I'll I'm thinking about is making sure Roy doesn't hurt anyone but me.

I stare him in the face and he comes running towards me.  Before he gets to me, I kick him hard in the shin knowing that that's a big weak spot for him. 

He falls to the ground and starts cursing at me.  Zack and some of the other guys coming running in and help me hold Roy down, so he doesn't get away.  Roy has been on the run from the cops for a couple of months now.

I hear the sound of sirens in the distance and turn to Zack.  "Is that the cops?"

"Yeah.  I heard all the raucous and called the cops.  I think they're bringing an ambulance for Maya too."

I just remembered about Maya.  I forgot that she was unconscious in all the chaos.  I turn my head away from Zack and see a group of people who are tending to her.  I recognize them as some kids from school who are in the EMT class.  I can't see Maya because they are blocking the way, but I'm sure she's in good hands.

As the sirens get closer, Roy struggles more and more and we all hold on tighter and tighter.  He continues to struggle so I push the front part of his body farther onto the floor and put my knee on his back.  That seems to work a little better.