4. The Break- Up

Tuesday August 31

Dear Maya,

                    I want you to know I'm sorry for being such a jerk earlier.  Dylan just irritates me really badly sometimes.  I'd really like it if we could hang out sometime.  You know, just me and you?  And if you don't that's ok to, I just think you are really cool person, and I'd like to get to know you better.  So, what do you say?  Want to hang out tomorrow?  No Dylan?  My number is 717-304-6629.  Text me sometime or call, that's ok too.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                             Jason

Maya's P.O.V.

Wow....Jason apologized!  Mr. Player wants to hang out with me?!  I'm so confused!  Without Dylan too?  Is this like a date?  Oh, my!  Boys think girls are complicated, but maybe that's because we are.  Guys must be complicated because they are so simple that they're complicated.  How's that logic for you?  Oh, wow.  I think Dylan and Jason are affecting me.  In a good or bad way though?  I haven't decided yet...

The rest of the night I wonder about what to do.. Do I say "yes" to Jason?  I mean he was being kind of a jerk today at school, but then in the car and the letter.. I guess I'll say yes.  What bad things could happen?

Dylan's P.O.V.

I wish I was going home with Jason and Maya instead.  Even having to deal with Jason would be better than what I have to face up to now.  I need to break-up with Claire.  I've spent a full week with her and I feel so accomplished.  Not because I dated a girl for a week, but because of her personality.  I knew what I was getting into when I decided to date Claire, but I never thought she could be this bad.  I started dating her because I thought if I gave her some attention and care, she wouldn't be so mean.  I was wrong.  Actually, wrong isn't even close to how far off I was.  It's like on the soccer field.  Say I go to kick the ball and the teams are tied.  I run to kick the ball, and then, bam!  I miss, and fall right on my back.

Maybe that's why most people think I'm such a player.  So, I've dated almost every girl in school, except for the ones in honors classes.  I know I sound like such a jerk and a player right now, but I had a reason for doing what I did.  I dated the girls to give them some attention and boost their confidence.  For some girls like Claire, I only dated them to see if there was a nice person underneath all that meaness I always saw.  The reason I don't date smart girls normally is because they're way too good for me, and I guess I'm kind of saving them for last, hoping that one of them is the right girl for me.

Claire swings our hands back and forth as we hold hands.  It's such a nice day, but a shame I'm spending it without the girl I really want to.

Claire stops swinging our hands and is staring directly at me, "What are you thinking about?" 

I look at her carefully, trying to decide if now is the time to tell her.  I've decided I better do it now.  "Claire, it's been a week, and it's just not working out."

She frowns, "Are you breaking up with me?"

I slowly nod my head, "Yeah, I guess I am."

She stands directly in front of me.  I can tell she's super mad at me. 

"Wait..is this because of that new girl?  That skinny nerdy chick who you always give weird looks?"

"No, this is about 'us' not working out."

"Oh sure it is.  You know, when I find that girl..ohh..she'll pay!  You'll pay to, Dylan Wolfe!"

I reach over to touch her arm to calm me down, but she stops me.  She slaps me hard across the face. 

I'm stunned.  No girl has ever slapped me or threw this bad of a fit when I've broken up with them.

She stares at me.  "You know what?  It doesn't matter cause tomorrow everyone will know what a jerk you are, and I'll be running off with Jason."

"No, don't get Jason involved in this.  Don't go after Maya either.  This is between you and me, no one else."

"Tough Dylan.  You shouldn't have just broken up with me!" she shouted right in my face. 

Wow.. She sounds hysterical.  Did she really like me that much?  I don't have time to answer the thought in my head because she starts storming off.  Oh, great.

I quickly catch up to her and pull in front of her and hold out my hands.  She stops and sneers at me.

"What now?!"

"Look, I know you're mad at me.  Can you at least let me walk you home though?  Just so I know your safe?"

She grunts at me, and pushes past me.

Was that a yes or a no?  Hmm.. I'm trying to be a gentleman to her, and she treats me like dirt.  Good thing my parents taught me manners, even though I don't always use them. 

I decide to take her grunt as a 'yes' and walk aside of her.  She's still fuming and really mad, but she'll get over it.  I just hope she doesn't go after Jason.  I feel bad about fighting with him and everything.  I also hope she doesn't go after Maya.  I shiver.  The things she could do to Maya.  Maya could get hurt pretty badly, all because of me.

I end up walking Claire home in utter silence.  When I drop her off at her house, she just slams the door in my face. 

When I finally get home, I find that Jason and his family are over...but there's something else...someone and her family is over too and Jason has his arm around her and they both are laughing.. Ok..so maybe I'm not quite done fighting it out with Jason..at least that's what I'm assuming since a part of me wants to go over and hit him.