18. The Party

Friday September 3

Jason's P.O.V.

Since I'm not quite old enough to drive yet, Maya and I walk to Zack's house.  It's only about a 10 minute walk anyway.  The whole walk Maya and I talk about all kinds of things like our likes, dislikes, and have some random conversations too.  It feels really nice to just be walking with her as friends.  Now that the worry and confusion is gone, I feel like I'm a completely different person, even though I know I'm not.  It just feels so relieving and nice to not be stressed out about my dad.

Right before we arrive at Zack's house, Maya and I notice something incredibly beautiful.  It's probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.  The sun is setting and it looks absolutely gorgeous.  Half the sun is hidden, but the half that is visible is surrounded by yellow that makes it look like it's glowing.  The rest of the sky is a mixture of yellow, pink, and red.  While Maya and I stop to take in the sight, I quickly pull out my phone a snap a picture of the scene. 

We stare at the scene a little while before we continue walking to the party.  I open the door to Zack's house for Maya and then follow her in.  We're immediately greeted by extremely loud music and flashing lights.  I take her hand and then guide her into the living room where it seems like most of the fun is coming from. 

As soon as we walk into the room we see a giant disco ball on the ceiling and lots of people dancing.  Don't Stop The Music by Rihanna is playing, so I grab Maya's hand and drag her out into the middle of the room where everyone is dancing. 

At first Maya and I are just kind of swaying to the music until we finally come out of our shells and start dancing all crazy like everyone else.  That's something I love about parties.  You don't have to be good at dancing, everyone just cares that you're moving your body to the music. 

We dance to the music until about 9 o'clock.  I'm so tired and sweaty for all of the dancing!  I feel really hot now too.  I guess I'll have to go for a swim in the pool later.

Maya and I walk over to the family room, which is basically a second living room, and sit down with her friends, my friends, and Dylan's friends.  I use to be pretty close with Dylan's friends and him with mine, but being that we play different sports, we never really had time to hang out. 

Chad, Austin, Zack, Micheal, Anthony, Jillian, Lara, Sarah, Mark, Trevor, Carl, Maya, and I all form a circle on the floor.  I briefly get up for a moment to go grab myself a soda and then take my spot back in the circle. 

Maya wrinkles her nose, "That isn't beer is it?"

"Sort of," I answer her. 

"Sort of?  You put something special in it?"

I smirk while the guys start laughing.  They know exactly what I'm getting at.  "Well, I'm no expert on what they put in here..."

Maya grabs the soda out of my hand.  "I'm not letting you get drunk."

I quickly snatch it out of her hands.  She attempts to grab it out of my hands again while I hold it away from her.  She almost manages to grab the cup when she falls in my lap.  All of the guys start whistling and carrying on.  I just smile at her.  "It's root beer, Maya."

She immediately pulls herself off on my lap and turns away trying to hide her blush.  Aww.. Poor Maya.  The guys can be pretty bad.  I touch her shoulder gently.  "It's ok Maya.  Let them think it meant something else."

She turns back and the guys settle down.  "Sooo.." Zack starts.  "Anyone want to play some spin the bottle?"

Right at that moment Claire walks in the room and jumps up on the coffee table and starts dancing.  We all stare.  That's one of the good things about having only sodas at parties.  Instead of people getting drunk, they just get really hyper. 

We stare at Claire memorized for a little and then turn back to the question.  "I'll play." I reply with a grin.  The other guys all say they'll play too.  Now it's the girls turn.  The girls hesitantly agree to play except for Maya.  She seems to have her heart set on not playing.

"Come on, Maya." I say.  "I'll be fun."

She shakes her head.  "Pleaseeee."

She stares me in the face for a little and then shakes her head again.  Hmm...  she won't budge will she?  Let's see how she handles this.

I give Maya a puppy dog look and I can tell she's having trouble saying no.  After a few seconds she agrees to play spin the bottle with us. 

"So, who wants to go first?"  Zack asks looking around at all of us.

"I'll go," I reply raising part of my hand.

I spin the bottle that was laid on the floor and watch it spin.  It spins in a circle a couple of times before it lands on Trevor.  Uh....

"EW.  No offense Trevor, but I like girls."

"Non taken.  Same here man."

Everyone starts laughing.  "Ok, how about this.  Guys don't kiss guys and girls don't kiss girls.  Does that work for everyone since I believe all of us like the opposite gender here?"

We all nod, and I get to spin again.  This time it lands on none other than me.  "How is that suppose to work?"

We all start laughing.  "Well, who knew someone could fail at a game so badly?" Mark asks.  "I guess we need the no kissing yourself rule too?"

We all nod, and then I spin the bottle for the third time.  Third time's the charm, right?  It spins for a couple of seconds before finally landing on.... 

Author's Note

*gasp* Who does it land on?  Well, don't ask me cause I don't know yet either!  Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks for reading and voting, etc.  This story has over 2,000 reads!!  Thanks so much everyone!  I really appreciate it!  I'm not sure when I'll upload next because I go back to school on Monday, but I'll see what I can do! ~ Christine