11. Revived

Wednesday September 1

Maya's P.O.V.

I really wish I would've got to seen Dylan before his heart stopped beating!  I'm so upset!  I hope the doctors can get his heart to beat again! 

Jason and I are sitting in the waiting room waiting to hear from the doctors.  The wait is unbearable!  When his parents get here I'm sure they'll go crazy with worry. 

1 Hour Later

I hear the tap tap tap of high heels moving quickly on the floor followed by more footsteps.  I look up and so does Jason.  It's Dylan's parents.  They come rushing over to us and immediately ask if we are ok and how Dylan is doing.  We tell them that his heart stopped beating, but we don't know anything more than that.  Dylan's Mom starts crying heavily while Dylan's Dad tries to be optimistic and comfort his wife. 

Just then a doctor comes walking over to us, the same one that told us about Dylan's condition earlier.  I don't know what to expect.  He waits until Dylan's mom stops crying so he can tell us all the news. 

"It's very nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Wolfe.  I'm Dylan's doctor as Jason and Maya already know.  I have some good news, but also some bad news.  So, do you want to hear the good or bad news first?"

The four of us exchange looks with each other.  Oh no!  Dylan can't be dead!  He just can't be!

Dylan's Dad is the first to speak.  "We'll hear the good news first."

"Good choice.  We managed to get Dylan's heart beating again after it stopped.  He is now in a stable condition." 

We all start to smile.  I feel so relieved!  Wait.  What's the bad news?

"However, the bad news is that he is in a coma right now, and we aren't sure when or if he'll wake up.  Also, if he does wake up, we aren't sure how much information he'll remember from before the accident."

Now I'm having conflicting feelings.  Should I be happy?  Should I be sad?  I'm happy that Dylan is alive and is doing ok, but a coma?  I can't be happy about that.  What if he forgets me? 

It's such a heartbreaking thought.  One of my closest friends could completely forget about me and we would have to reestablish our friendship again.  Not only is it that though, I kind of have a crush on Dylan.  I kind of have a crush on Jason too, but I think it's going away. 

That's when my parents come in along with Jason's parents.  They are sad about Dylan, but they tell us we have to get some sleep because we have school tomorrow.  Can't we just take tomorrow off? 

At Home

My parents drive me home and I go right up to my room.  The first thing I have think of to do is pray.  I pray to God and ask him to watch over and take care of Dylan.  I then get ready for bed and go to sleep.  I'm so exhausted that I fall asleep within a couple of minutes.  That's unusual for me.  It normally takes me awhile to fall asleep.

Thursday September 2 At School

I walk into my high school feeling pretty down.  I still don't know what is going to happen to Dylan and Jason has been acting really weird lately.  I guess it's because he feels like it's his fault that Dylan is in the position he is, which it isn't.  Dylan risked his life for Jason.  He did it all on his own. 

I walk over to my friends who are hanging out near our classroom until the bell rings.  They're talking about Zack's party tomorrow night.  Oh right.  I don't have a date yet.  I was hoping that Dylan would ask, and I'm pretty sure that he would've if it wouldn't be for the fact that he's in the hospital now and probably won't get out until after the party.  Now I guess I'm hoping for Jason to ask me. 

"Hey everyone," I reply, trying to sound happy.

"Hey Maya.  I heard about what happened with Dylan," Lara says frowning.  "How is he doing?"

"He's doing ok right now, he's in a coma though."

Everyone's faces turn into expressions of horror.  We all like Dylan.  He's a good guy. 

"It's so horrible!  I feel so bad for Dylan!" Sarah exclaims.

"I know!" Jillian says.  "It must be so hard for his parents to see him go through that."

"Yeah, I bet," Anthony replies.

"What do you know?  Everything seems to go back to Jason lately when it has to deal with Dylan in pain," Michael replies with a strange look on his face.

"Huh.  Yeah it does, doesn't it?" Anthony asks.

"Mhm," Lara replies nodding her head.

I hate to say it, but it's so true.  Jason has been the cause for Dylan's pain and suffering ever since I moved here.

"So," I say, "Does everyone have a date for the party?"

"Yep.  I'm taking Sarah," Michael replies wagging his eyebrows up and down at her as she giggles. 

"I'm taking Jillian," Anthony adds as he wraps his arm around her and she beams.

"What about you, Lara?" I ask curiously.

"I'm going with Mitch," she replies dreamily.

Aww.  How cute!  Everyone has a date except for me.  Maybe I just shouldn't go. 

"Soooo..  Who are you going with?" Lara asks me.

"Ummm... Well...  No one asked me yet.."

"No one asked you?  Wow.  Boys really are stupid!  Anyway, if you want you could tag along with Mitch and me.  I'm sure Mitch won't mind."

"Or us,"  Anthony offers.

"Us too," Michael replies.

"Thanks for the offer guys, but I don't want to be anyone's third wheel or anything, no offense."

They all just nod their heads.  I glance over at a nearby clock.

"I guess we better get to class." 

They all nod and we go to first period.

It's a typical morning filled with teachers rambling on, and lots of homework.  I head to the cafeteria and grab myself a slice of pizza and a bottle of water.  I then go sit down at a circular table with my friends that sits eight.  It's Lara, Sarah, Jillian, Anthony, Michael, Mitch, and me.  There's an empty seat on my left, and I notice there's a hand resting on it from someone.  I look up to see Jason is standing there.

"Do you guys mind if I sit with you guys today?" he asks.

"Nah. Go ahead," Mitch replies while the rest of us just stare. 

I have been here long enough to know that Jason only ever sits with his best friends, Mark, Trevor, and Carl.  Even when he was having a fling with a girl he didn't sit with her.  I'm so shocked and don't know what to say so I just smile at him.

He sits down next to me and turns to face me.  I look him straight in the eyes.  I can see sadness, anger, frustration, and desperation in his face.  Why is he so upset?  I know the Dylan thing has been on his mind, but doesn't it upset him that much?  He doesn't seem like the guy that would feel too bad for doing something horrible.  Note to self, get to know more about Jason.

"I was wondering if you would like to go with me to Zack's party?"

I look at him carefully.  I can tell he really wants me to say 'yes.'  I smile at him.

"Sure."  

I'm so glad no one else was paying attention to our little conversation because I'm pretty sure I am blushing like crazy.

I look down and manage to get my blushing under control before I look back up at him.  I see him smiling widely at me.  I can actually see happiness on his face now.

And now I'm going on a date with Jason tomorrow..  Well, I guess it's not an official date so it doesn't exactly count for anything.  Or does it?  I don't know.