Chapter 109: Dark Day

[Joey's POV]

The day of Teresa's funeral had come around just three days after her unexpected death. Doctors had continued examining her after we were told about her passing. They couldn't pin point what caused the heart attack.

Shane... I don't even know about Shane. He was devastated, obviously. I've never seen him cry like this as much as he had over the past few days. I wish I could help. But nothing I say or do, would make him feel better.

It was early for us, 7am, we needed to be up at this time so we could get everything ready. Shane was in the bathroom prepping the shower. I'd showered long before Shane just to be ahead of things.

Shane: Uhh... Joey?

Joey: Yeah?

Shane: C-could you lay out... My suit?

Joey: Sure.

I was walking around in my underwear, I didn't want to put on my suit until Shane was about to put on his. Shane was wearing a full black suit, white shirt and black tie. My suit was pretty much the same but my shirt was black instead of white. I am not looking forward to this...

Shane was taken a while in the shower. The water had stopped running after about 10 minutes. I knocked on the door and shouted in asking if he was okay, no reply.

Joey: Shane? Are you okay?

Again, I got no reply from Shane.

Joey: SHANE! Open the door, I need to know if you're okay!

This didn't look too good.

Joey: Shane, c'mon! Unlock the door and let me in!

I have too options here, number one, wait for however long it takes for Shane to open the door, or number two, throw myself into it and hope I mange to knock it down. One sounded much easier and less painful on my behalf.

Joey: Shane please open the door! Otherwise I'm going to knock it down! And you know I will!

He heard, as the sound of the door unlocking relieved me. I turned the door knob and walked in to an awful sight.

Joey: SHANE! Shane no no no!

He was sitting in the corner next to the counter, hugging his knees, bawling.

Shane: Joey... I can't...

Joey: Hey... Come here.

I sat myself down on the floor next to him, wrapping my arm over his shoulder and squeezing him against me in an attempt to comfort him. He released his knees and threw his arms around me.

Shane: I-I can't do it J-Joey... How am I going to watch my mom-

Joey: Shane it's okay, I know this is going to be very hard for you today... But I'm going to be there the entire time. A shoulder to cry on.

Shane: Joey?

Joey: Yeah Shane?

Shane: I love you...

Joey: I know... I love you too.

Shane: Can I tell you something?

Joey: Absolutely yes.

Shane: D'ya know what the last thing my mom said to me was, the last time I saw her? 'Go get your fiancé back.' She wanted me to fight for you. She wants me to spend the rest of my life with you. That's the plan y'know. I'm going to marry you Joey, have a family. Get old with you...

Joey: That's a great plan Shane.

Shane: It doesn't take that long to think about your future when you know exactly who you want to spend the rest of your life with. I've known for a long time that I want to live the rest of my life with you Joey.