The Yule Ball

Tonight is the night of the Yule Ball. I sat on the end of my bed as Rose put my curls into a bun. She left one small curl on each side of my face. My aunt had sent me small pins with snowflakes on them that sparkled, Rose put them in the bun. I stood and went to the mirror. Rose had done every ones hair. Me, Dana, Sarah Bones, and her own. Dana did our make up. I felt really pampered. We all put on our dresses. I was the last one in the bathroom. I dont really want to go. I thought about Remedy, she was still upset with me. I didnt want to face her, or Malfoy... what was I going to do? I turned him down to the ball. I bet hes going with that Slytherin girl. I took a deep breath and ran my hand over the soft fabric.

I walked over to my bed and put on my silver shoes. I walked out to the common room where Dana was standing with her sixth year Gryffindor date and Rose with her fourth year Ravenclaw date. And there he was. Demetri. He looked so handsome in his dress robes. I went over to him. I was taller and met his eye level.

"You look beautiful." he said. I blushed and gave him a small smile.

"Thanks" my voice cracked. We all walked over to the dining hall where the dance was being held. We waited for the champions to arrive. I went and gave Fluer a hug. When I came back to Demetri he pointed across the room. I looked over and saw Remedy and Joel, she looked beautiful her dress was off the shoulder long sleeves made of black satin the dress was a bright purple with a black lace over layer. A deep purple sash was on her waist.

"Do you want to go say hi?" Demetri broke my thought.

"Oh, no. I'm pretty sure shes still pretty upset with me." I looked into his eyes. He gave me a quizzical look.

"You two need to make up."

"I know. But not tonight. I dont want to ruin her night."

"You wont. You guys are friends. " He dragged me over to her. She caught my eyes and plastered a big smile on her face.

"Hi Rem." I had to speak up a little because people were starting to get loud. She gave me a small smile. "Can we go for a walk?"

She sighed and nodded. We headed outside and sat on a stone bench.

"We need to talk." She nodded her head. "I hate that we arent talking. I miss you. But, I cant really apologize for something I dont know what I did. Will you tell me whats bothering you?"

"Malfoy."

"Malfoy? What about him."

"You need to stop. He's going to hurt you in the end. His parents are trying to kill me."

"He isnt his parents. Have you ever thought of that?" She paused for a moment.

"Okay fine."

"Are we okay?"

"Yes, we're okay."

"Okay good because its freezing out here." We both smiled, and we went inside back to our dates.

Demetri and Joel were sitting at a table. I saw Malfoy looking at me. Pansy was tugging on his black robe. Remedy and I met our dates back at the table and danced all night. Remedy actually danced with me. The Weird Sisters were amazing. Everyone had fun. Our last dance was a slow song. I was getting tired and I put my head on Demetri's shoulder. I felt his head rest on the top of mine as we slowly turned and danced around the floor. I closed my eyes and smiled. I found myself not wanting this night to end. The song ended anyway and we said goodnight to Remedy and Joel.

We went for a walk outside. I shivered and Demitri put his robe around my shoulders. We walked and talked and laughed for a while before we went back to our dorms. He walked me to the door of my room and let go of my hand he had been holding. He put his hand on my cheek and brushed a strand of my hair out of my face. I closed my eyes as his soft lips met mine. His hand moved to the back of my neck as he pulled me closer. Eventually I stepped back and smiled, I turned and opened the door, shutting it behind me. Everyone was asleep already. I went into the bathroom and wiped the make-up off. Took out my pins, one was missing... oh well, I'll look for it in the morning. I changed out of my dress and heels and changed into long fleece pants and a shirt. I laid down in my soft sheets. I didnt notice it until I turned over on top of it. A pink rose was laying on my pillow, I knew who it was from. It smelled like him. I remember the scent from the Astronomy tower. I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I put the rose on my nightstand and went to sleep.

***

The next morning was a Saturday. It also happened to be Christmas. I looked at my clock, 9:30. Everyone else in my room was gone. Pertida was perched on the end of my bed post. She had quite a large package with her. I grabbed it from her and tore open the brown packaging.

Dearest Joy,

Happy Christmas! Hope your school year is going well. Hope you're keeping those marks up. Here is a little present from me for you and Remedy.

Much love,

Aunt Mary

I set the letter on my nightstand. Inside the box were two chocolate frogs and two boxes of Berty Bots. I smiled and gave Pertida a little kiss on the head. I went into my closet and pulled on some jeans and a pink and brown stripped sweater. I grabbed the sweets and tucked them into a small mesanger bag. Pulled on my boots, and headed for the Great Hall.

Once I got there, I met Remedy at the table. We ate and talked together.

"So, after the walk what happened?" she asked me, I looked up from my pumpkin juice. I set the glass down and pushed the eggs on my plate around a bit. "Did you snog?"

"Dont say it like that! He kissed me..."

"Same difference! Did you kiss back?" She had a smug little smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Good! I'm happy for you two!" She smiled.

"Well, then I went back to my room... and found a rose on my pillow... from him."

"Oh, you mean ferret boy?" She rolled her eyes and took a drink from her goblet.

"Would you not call him that?"

"No, Im going to keep calling him that until it stops being funny to me."

"Youre missing the point. Im conflicted." She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Anyway, how was the dance after we left?"

"Dull, the party stopped after you two left, litterally. Joel and I went back to the common room and just talked."

"Just talked, huh?" I gave her a sly smile.

"Um yes we just talked."

"No, I believe you" I said still smiling.

"Stop that."

"Stop what??"

"That! That smile! I'm the only one allowed to do that."

"I dont know what youre talking about." We both laughed and finished our meal.

We headed over to the library and checked out a few books. After that Remedy took me to her tower. We talked about the ball and the upcoming task. And the fact that it was strange how they decided to bring it back after three hundred years. We saw Joel come down once before he went back to bed.

"So Rem, did you get anything for Christmas?" I tossed her the sweets. "From Aunt Mary."

"Thank you Aunt Mary. Just some sweets and a librabry book."

"Oh, Im sorry-"

"Its okay. Im happy."

"Last year you said your parents hated you. Because youre a blood traitor?" She slowly nooded. "What is a blood traitor anyway?"

"A blood traitor is someone who is friends with muggle borns and half-bloods."

"Half bloods? Like me..."

"Yeah"

We talked for a couple more hours until the sun had set. A first year told me I was wanted by professor Dumbledore. I said goodbye to Remedy and followed the little first year to Dumbledores office

I got to his office and there were four people sleeping on mats on the floor. It was Fluer's little sister, Hermione, Cho Chang, and Ron. What were they doing there? Madame pomfrey saw me and explained the task to me.

"Thats a little gruesome Professor." I looked at Dumbleodre.

"These tasks are meant to challenge the champions." I looked back at the four sleeping victims.

"Okay."