I think I Understand

"What do you mean by murdered?"  I was so confused. It was like the life I had grown up to know was  just wiped away. I couldn't believe it.

"Love, listen to me very closely." My aunt said with a slight break in her voice.

I could  feel the tears starting to form in my eyes.  It started to sting and then they started quietly flowing out. I could tell this wasn't easy for my aunt to talk about.

"I don't want to listen!! I have no idea why you're even telling me this!"

"Darling please just let me explain!" The last thing I wanted was to hear all about the truth of my parents death.  Considering it wasn't an accident.

"Your mother and father were great people. Your mother was a witch that worked with magical creatures down at the ministry. I didn't get to know her very well before she passed. Your father, my brother,  was a wizard who worked in a store in Diagon Alley. We came from a very long line of wizards.

"What? What is Diagon Alley?!?"

"Diagon Alley is where witches  and wizards go to relax, shop for supplies, and withdrawal money from the bank." She said calmly. 

Ok, this wizard business isn't sounding so bad. They have their own place to be themselves. 

"Now, you must understand that not all witches and wizards are good. Some have turned dark. Very dark.  There was a man who turned  bad and was a nightmare to everyone in the wizarding world.  He had many dark followers." My aunt no longer held eye contact with me. She was looking down at her hands.

"One of them is named Fenir Greyback. He tortured your parents,  with a curse,  for information within the ministry. When he was done torturing them he murdered them. Just like that." I could feel the tears keep coming and there were now a lot of breaks in her voice and she cleared her throat.

"It was a great loss to a lot of different people." She reached out to grab my hands. "Your mother was an extraordinary woman. She was loved by many. And same goes for your father. He was strong and reliable. Do you understand what I'm telling  you? I am aware that it's a lot to process at once but you need to try..."

"Yes,  I think I understand. I just have one question."

"What is it?"

"Why are you telling me this all now?"

"You've been excepted to a school for the children of the wizarding world. The school's name is Hogwarts. You will attend for a year at a time and return home for a little while during Christmas'." She reached behind her and handed me a thick envelope with green ink that had my name and my address. I turned it over and there was a burgundy seal. I carefully lifted the seal. 

"Well actually you were excepted about two years ago, but back then I don't think you were ready to handle it all at such a young age. Especially with the loss of your cousin. You will attend up until your 7th year. This year you are entering as a 3rd year. School starts September 1st."

"WHAT? That's in six days!" I couldn't believe that she had been hiding this from me for at least two months! This was too much to handle in one evening. It was becoming overwhelming.

"I know I've messed up but, I really think that you're going to love Hogwarts. But, this means that we must go to Diagon Alley tomorrow morning to get all your school supplies. The letter inside that envelope will have everything you need listed. So get up when I tell you to get up!" She stood and I followed.

"Ok, I can do that. But, aunt Mary."

"Yes, love?"

"I'm really scared." 

"I figured you would be. That's why I'm giving you this."

She handed me a picture frame. It was small. Small enough to put on night stand. It was a picture of  my parents. They were sitting on the floor in front of  a fire. Wait a minute... OH MY SUGAR  COOKIES! The picture is moving! They're looking at me then next they're looking  and each other and then eww...  snogging. They look so young. I could feel the tears running down my cheek. Then I felt my aunt standing  behind me giving me a hug.  This moment turned around and became bearable. It was amazing, it was... magical.  I felt like if I had this picture with me wherever I went, I would be okay.  Like they were my courage and my strengh. 

"Now off to bed with you. We have so much to do tomorrow and I have so much to teach you."

"Goodnight aunt Mary, I love you."

"I love you too. Sleep well!"    

I started walking upstairs and when I got to my room I immediately curled up in my bed. I set the frame beside my bed and laid there watching them. I opened the letter and read the contents. 

Dear Ms. Felton,

       We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts. School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely ,

Proffessor McGonogall 

Minerva McGonogall 

Deputy Headmistress

As I lay there in my bed I really realized that it was real. I, Joy Mary Felton am a witch. A real live witch. Wow. The feeling was amazing.