23. Follow the silver

It had been 3 days since Evelyn last got a dose of silver. Now she was lying on her bed, breathing nervously and preparing herself for the overwhelming pain she would soon be facing. Qiana was a doctor, she worked in the Mount Sinai Hospital. She knew what she was doing as she filled the syringe and placed the needle on Evelyn's upper arm. 

"Ok. Ready?"

Evelyn nodded. She was not ready. But there was no other choice. The last dose of silver had nearly disappeared from her body. It was too dangerous to wait any longer. Especially after what happened last night. 

Norah. Norah had made Evelyn even more determined to stay away from Shawn. Last night, Evelyn had woken up because of loud inconsolable sobs from the room next to hers. She had gotten up and opened her door to find out what was going on. Fay  run pass her door to Norah's room and told Evelyn to stay in her room. She had said that Evelyn wouldn't want to see what was happening. Norah also had a mark on her neck, so she was connected to her mate. But unlike Evelyn, Norah's body couldn't take any silver or drugs. She had nearly died when they had tried to silence the mate's voice with extremely small dose of silver. Every now and then Norah's mate made sure she suffered because running away from him. He did cruel things, that he knew would cause pain and sorrow to Norah. The worst part was his menacing laugh that echoed in her mind. Last night had been the worst night, according to Fay. Norah had begged Fay to kill her. His mate had broken her, and she was telling where she was exactly and how he could get t her. But right before that, Fay had punched her unconscious. Norah's mate was a mad man. A man without a single drop of compassion or regard for others. Nor did he care about Norah. She had been nothing but a sex slave to him. 

Fay took Evelyn's hand to comfort her as the needle puncture her skin and the waves of pain began. Evelyn's back arched and she let out a silent cry. She could hear Fay's soft voice comforting her. 

As she faced the peak of the waves she closed her eyes and started to cry: "I need this, I need this..." 

The pain was worth it. If a mate does what was done to Norah, she wanted nothing to do with hers. She forced her mind to picture Shawn's possessive glare. "Fuck you," she imagined herself saying to him. She refused to be an object. She refused to be controlled and owned by a man - a werewolf.

*****************************

How does a wolf hide its scent? It tries to replace it with something else. How does a werewolf hide it's scent. With a certain chemical  - and silver. Shawn knew his mate's wolf scent was being covered by a chemical, probably by the same meds she was on when he first met her. But because he knew that scent, that had to be hidden too. So she needed silver. But because she was new to her true self, so inexperienced, she needed help. Someone who knew what to do. The easiest way to get to his mate, was to find those who were helping her. 

Shawn knew a sad excuse of a man, who worked in the FBI. He was a werewolf. Shawn did not respect him at all, but he still sometimes helped that man to find leads. And the man, Kevin, like many other men, owed him a favour. Kevin had found the guy who made and sold tempered colloidal silver. Naturally his only clients were werewolves. And Kevin had found out, that right now business was slow. So slow, that it was really easy to narrow down the right client. Client number 1: a pack in Northfalls. Client number 2: a male wolf in New Mexico. He was probably a loner and wanted to live as a human, because sometimes his human lover was with him picking up the silver. Client number 3: A human in New York. According the guy, she called every now and then and ordered ridiculous amounts. She always demanded quick delivery. She was a human but she smelled like several wolves.

Shawn knew he needed to check this human client. His gut told him she was the way to Evelyn. 

Shawn had just landed to JFK, and immediately he had encountered a Raven. New York was their territory, but it didn't bother him. Even if they would block his wolf powers, he was strong. He knew several human martial arts and was in the best shape of his life. And because he had alpha blood, they couldn't manipulate his mind. So, the Ravens didn't bother him. 

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" the Raven had asked. 

Shawn had wanted to answer he was there for the sights, but he decided not to cause any suspicion. 

"My name is Dillon Matthews. I'm here on business. I'll be gone in couple days," Shawn said. Dillon was his brother's accountant. 

"We'll be watching you," the Raven said and left him to get a taxi. 

"Birds," he chuckled in his mind. He hoped for their own sake, they'd stay away from his way.