18. Nassau Street

Evelyn looked up an saw a terracotta colored building. There was a small restaurant and Bank of America ATMs on the ground floor but the ten or so floors above looked like normal apartments. 

"Welcome to the She Wolf pack. We live here, 140 Nassau Street. The top floor is ours. Now, get in before we have to walk another mile to make sure no one's following," the woman said and opened the front door. 

Evelyn stepped into a hallway, that looked nothing special. 

"She Wolf pack? What is that?" she asked and saw silver mailboxes on one wall. 

"Let's just get into our apartment and then Fay will tell you everything."

They took the elevator, but before it started to move, the woman turned her back to Evelyn and looked up. Evelyn noticed there was a security camera. The woman nodded and the the elevator started to move. 

"I usually take the stairs. It's faster. This old thing is ridiculously slow. And it gets even slower when we get near the 12th floor. Fay is really nuts about security so..."

Evelyn had no idea what the woman was talking about, but didn't bother to ask. All she was thinking was a hot shower and food.

There was a small DING sound when the elevator reached the 12th floor.  The doors opened and they stepped out. Evelyn noticed there was an empty plastic bag and a bathrobe on the corridor floor.  Before they continued any further, the woman turned to Evelyn.

"I don't want to sound rude or anything, but you smell awful. Before we go in, would you mind taking your clothes off and putting them into that bag. You can use that robe. When we go in, you can have a shower. And don't worry, they are not watching and I can turn around," the woman said and pointed at the security cameras.

"Um... ok," Evelyn said. Stripping her clothes in a corridor wasn't something Evelyn felt comfortable doing, but the clothes were so disgusting, that she could've taken them off in front of the building. The woman turned around to give her some privacy. Evelyn quickly took of her clothes and put then into the bag. The robe felt soft and clean against her stinky skin. 

"Ok. I'm ready." 

The woman took a key from her purse and opened the apartment door. But for Evelyn's surprise there was another door behind it. It looked identical to the of Max's safe room. This time the women took a key card and swiped it trough the lock. Though the door was heavy, it slid open automatically. 

"Come on in," the woman said and Evelyn obeyed. 

The apartment was huge considering it was in New York. It covered the whole 12th floor. From the front door they stepped directly into a spacious and open living room and kitchen.  There was lofty feeling because of the high ceiling and brick walls. It was a very soothing space, because it had been decorated with neutral earthy colors. The furniture looked second hand, but everything was very homey. Evelyn looked curiously around the living room. There was no one else but the two of them. 

"I'll show you your room, c'mon," the woman said and took her to a small but well airy room. There were 2 beds and night stands. 

"So this is you room. You're not sharing with anyone, at least not yet. But that might change. I mean someone else might need some Sinatra. The bathroom is just around the corner at the end of the corridor. There're fresh towels under the sink and feel free to use the shampoos and whatever you need. I'll bring you clean clothes on your bed. And after that you'll have to eat something."

"Thank you."

************************************

Shower made Evelyn feel like a normal person again. Her smell didn't make her want to vomit anymore. Instead the lovely vanilla scented conditioner made her feel lovely. With a towel wrapped around her body and hair, she walked back to her new room. As the woman had said, there was a pile a clothes on the bed. She changed into them. Now wearing black leggings and a dark blue hoodie, Evelyn went to the kitchen area. She smelled something delicious. The woman was setting the table for one. Hopefully for me, Evelyn thought.

"Do you like lasagna?" the woman asked.

"Right now, I think I love everything eatable."

The woman let out a friendly laugh. 

"Well, lucky for you we have an all you can eat lasagna buffet." 

Evelyn closed her eyes as she took her first bite. She couldn't remember the last time she had enjoyed food so much. After the second plate, she started to feel her stomach stop growling. 

"Thank you so much. I feel like a new person," Evelyn said.

"You're welcome. I'm glad you're here and safe," the woman said with a warm smile.

"I don't even know your name."

"Well... I'm just Lower Manhattan. For all of our safety it's best if-"

"I don't know your real name."

"Yes. And I haven't asked your name, because I can't now that. Fay and the rest of the girls can now it, and you'll know theirs but, I'm an exception."

"Ok."

They heard a small peeping sound from a speaker above the front door. Lower Manhattan glanced at her wrist watch. 

"That's Fay. She's never late," the woman said and put Evelyn's plate into a dishwasher. 

"Who's Fay?" Evelyn asked.

"She's the leader."

"An alpha?"

"Nooooo sweetie. Not an alpha, thank goodness."

*******************************

As I wrote last time, I was able to write several chapter during the weekend. So I'll publish on as soon as tomorrow. 

Please vote. If you're feeling funky, comment. Funky readers make me write faster :)