8. While she was sleeping

Unfortunately for Evelyn, the man she had met at the diner wasn't a trucker or someone who was just passing through. The man was everywhere. No matter where Evelyn went, she could spot him. Though he didn't come near her or speak to her, she could feel him watching her. Like he was studying her. There were a couple of times she felt like walking over to him and confronting him. But she didn't do that. Instead, she tried to stay away and make it as hard as possible for him to find her.

But the man seemed to be able to know her every move. 

"Evelyn, dear?" 

She heard Brenda's soft voice behind the door. 

"I'm coming, Brenda," Evelyn said and got up from her bed. Her work shift had just ended and she had been resting on her bed trying to take a nap, but the stupid man had occupied her mind. She opened the door and saw Brenda holding a big box. So big that she could hardly be seen behind it.

"This arrived for you today."

Well, things were looking much better now. She took the box and took it to her bed. Brenda followed her curiously. 

"It's the camping stuff I ordered. Finally," Evelyn sighed her voice filled with excitement.

"Oh," Brenda said. "I'll be in the lobby if you need me."

Evelyn nodded and started to open the box. Finally, she could explore the forest that surrounded the town. But more importantly, she could get away from that annoying man.  Next weekend she would go camping.

***************************************************************

Shawn waited. The biggest mistake would be to act too soon. Patience. He needed patience, though all he wanted was to end this. Right. Now. He knew he had the right girl, but he needed proof. That's why he waited that night. Evelyn had already turned the lights off in her room, but Shawn had to make sure she was completely asleep. Why? Because he was going to break into her room without her noticing. It was 11.45 PM. 

"20 minutes," he whispered. Shawn took a small plastic bag from the pocket of his jacket. The small bag was filled with little pills. They weren't just any pills. They looked exactly like the ones Evelyn took and it had taken quite a lot of work to get them. Luckily someone had owed him a favor. He placed the bag on his bed. Then he took a small box from his backpack and placed it next to the bag. 

After deciding he had waited enough, Shawn stood up, took everything he would need and walked out of his room. He made sure to walk as silently as possible. No one could see or hear him. Lock of Evelyn's door wasn't too big a challenge for him. Slowly he opened the door and before stepping in, he had to stop himself from chuckling. Evelyn was asleep and she had her mouth slightly open. She had her pillow tucked against her chest and she was squeezing it hard. Her breathing was even but every now and then she let out a small moan. Shawn thought it was cute, adorable even. He walked to her bed and squatted down. He was careful opening the small box, he had brought with him. Inside the box was a syringe filled with clear liquid. He took the syringe, made sure there was no air in it and then he quickly injected it into Evelyn's arm. She didn't react to it but kept sleeping. Now she wouldn't wake up and start screaming and fighting him. Shawn gently nudged her shoulder to make sure she was in deep sleep. 

Before getting up he just looked at her face. He had been following her around for the last couple days and he knew her face well by now. But there was something strange being so close to her, to touch her. She had a petite body and brown hair with a hint of red. Her eyes, now closed, were jade green. But it wasn't the color that had caught Shawn's eye. Her eyes talked to him like they were trying to reveal her deepest secrets to him. There were times when those jade green eyes were filled with unbearable sadness. But the sadness was always replaced with determination and rebellion. For some reason, he wanted to know her secrets. He wanted to understand her. But that's not why he was in her room that night. Shawn got up and started looking. He went through her backpack, her clothes in the closet and the box filled with camping equipment, but he couldn't find what he was looking for. He went into her bathroom but still no luck.

"Evelyn honey, where did you hide it?" he asked knowing she wouldn't answer. He walked back to her bed. She looked peaceful, completely oblivious to him being there. That's when she slightly turned moving the blanket with her. And there it was, on her bed. Her orange prescription bottle. Shawn opened the bottle and changed the pills to the ones he had bought with him. Then he carefully put the bottle back to the bed and made sure everything in Evelyn's room looked normal. As if he had never been there. Then he left.