17. Trusting Sinatra

9.43AM things started to happen. Max asked Evelyn to open the door and once she opened the lock and pushed the heavy door, Max and another woman stepped in. The other woman had a syringe in her hand.

"Shy, this is Em. She's a doctor. Em thinks it's best if she gives you your meds straight into your vein. Pills take more time. And we need to get you scentless as fast as we can. Or at least make it weaker. Shy, do you give her your permission?"

Evelyn nodded. The doctor walked to her and lifted her sleeve. The needle sank into Evelyn's skin and the liquid made her arm feel warm.

"I'm going to give you another shot. It's going to hurt a bit, but it will help you. Ok?"

Evelyn was too tired to ask why she needed another shot. Instead, she just nodded. She the new liquid entered her vein, she felt breathless. The pain came in waves and she collapsed. The doctor quickly caught her before she hit the floor.

"Em, are you sure this is the right way to do this?" Max asked.

"This is the only way, Maxine. Her mark is too new... too fresh. It will hurt like hell, but silver is the only way."

"Evelyn? What's happening? You're in pain."

"Make this stop! Make this stop!" Evelyn cried out.

Max helped the doctor to make Evelyn sit down on the floor.

"Is the car ready?" the doctor asked.

"Dex is on his way. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. Is it enough time?" Max asked.

"I think so, yes. She's only a half wolf and I gave her the maximum doze. And her own meds help too. But lets not move her before Alpha is here. Just in case."

Those were the last words Evelyn heard before she fell unconscious .

*********************************

Before Evelyn opened her eyes, she heard sounds of cars and people walking pass her. She felt disoriented and had no idea where she was. When she opened her eyes Evelyn realised she was lying face down. There was a piece of cardboard under her. It smelled awful. She smelled awful! Like alcohol and urine. Slowly she pushed herself into a sitting position.

"What the..."

A busy city surrounded her. And not just any city; she was in New York. There was an empty alcohol bottle next to her and a blanket that looked like an animal had died on it. She wasn't even wearing her own clothes. A dirty grey hoodie had seen its best days and was at least 3 sizes too big and old Adidas sweatpants clearly belonged to someone much taller. Evelyn realised she looked like a homeless person. Well, it was a bitter truth: she was homeless and had always been. But now she even looked like one. And smelled like one.

The last memory she had, was her sitting on the floor of Max's safe room. And now, she was here. What was she suppose to do now? She had no money and she knew no one in the city. She should have been more scared, but the familiar numbness, caused by her meds, had overtaken her. She was numb and Shawn's voice was gone. It was a welcome feeling after everything she had experienced.

It was a bit chilly so, Evelyn put her hands into her pockets. She felt a piece of paper and pulled it out.

Good luck! Trust only in Sinatra. Now, get rid of this message. Max

Evelyn tore the message and slipped the pieces through a drain cover.

*********************************************

Evelyn hadn't eaten anything since she woke up on her smelly cardboard in the morning. Sun was going down, and Evelyn had took her disgusting cardboard and blanket into alleyway. The street had been to busy, an she hated the way people looked at her -like she was dirt.

As Evelyn tried to find the most comfortable position possible, a woman stopped and looked at her from the street.

"Are you alright? Do you need help?" she asked.

Evelyn shook her head. The woman nodded and walked away.

Maybe she should have asked some money. She was starving and a bagel sounded more than divine.

After five minutes the same woman came back. This time she walked to her instead of standing on the street. It made Evelyn feel uneasy. What was she doing? What did she want from her?

"The way you look tonight makes me think you need my help," the woman said.

"I... um.. I'm ok. Thank you."

The woman lifted her eyebrows.

"Are you sure?"

"Yep."

The woman laughed.

"Let my try again. Do you need my help? It's going to be a cold night and if you're going to sleep here you're going to wish you were in Ipanema instead of New York, New York."

It finally hit her; the woman was talking about Frank Sinatra! The way you look tonight, Let my try again, Girl from Ipanema and New York, New York. Max had written in the message to trust only Sinatra. She could trust this woman!

"I guess I do need help. Unless you're going to fly me to the moon," Evelyn said. Her words made the woman smile.

"Ok. Follow me."

*************************************

I'm going to write at least 2 more chapters this weekend. I'd be extremely happy if you voted. And once again, if your feeling funky, leave a comment :) And read my dear reader message! I'd love to hear your ideas.

xoxo

M