16. Claustrophobic

There was no way Evelyn could've slept that night. Because whenever she was about to fall asleep, Shawn's words filled her mind. Evelyn didn't answer, just as Max had told her.  

"You think you can run away from me." his dark chuckle echoed. It made Evelyn shiver, because she could almost feel him there next to her. 

"Touch your neck and you'll know why it's impossible." 

Evelyn shook  her head. 

"Don't answer him. Just stay quiet." she whispered and wrapped her arms around her legs.  It was 4AM and she was exhausted. All she wanted to do was scream at him to shut up. But It had been a mistake to speak to him in first place. So she had to remain quiet. No matter what he'd say, Evelyn wouldn't  say anything.

"Your neck, Evelyn."

"No."

**************************************************

5AM. Still no sleep.

Evelyn heard light footsteps outside the door and she quickly walked to the door to hear what was going on. 

"Shy," she barely heard the whisper. It was Max.

"Yes?"

"Don't open the door. Nothing's wrong, just listen to me carefully. Your mate is circling around the cabin. I know it's really hard for you, and it's getting worse. You told me about your medicine... and how it hid your wolf scent. Dex thinks you should take one. Maybe it will work though he marked you-"

"Max? What does that mean? That marking thing."

For a moment Max was quiet. Evelyn pressed hear ear against the door.

"Max? Are you still there?"

"You don't know. Ok... um... When male werewolves find their mates they often mark them by biting them... usually on the neck. It's a stupid animalistic tradition. They could very well not do that, but well... their dogs. But Shy, you seriously had no idea that he had bitten you?"

Evelyn nearly touched her neck, but stopped herself right before her fingers touched the skin. Shawn wanted Evelyn to touch her neck. She knew that was a reason not to do it.

"He has been telling me to touch my neck. But I don't know... I don't feel anything-"

"Have you touched it?" This time Max's voice was louder. And through a thick steel door, it sounded like she was anxious. 

"No, I haven't. But it's hard not to. He's telling me to do that  and it feels like my hands rather listen to his voice than my brain."

"There's a chest in the back corner. Can you see it?"

Evelyn looked around and saw it. 

"Yeah."

"There's a mirror in the top drawer. It might help if you see the mark."

With a deep sigh, Evelyn walked to the drawer and  opened it. She saw an old hand mirror, that looked like it was from the 19th century. She carefully took it an lifted it so she could see her neck. There was nothing out of normal on the left hand side. She moved the mirror towards the other side of her neck. That's when she saw it. There were red biting marks an inch above her collarbone. 

"What the hell!" she whimpered and quickly put the mirror away. 

She felt awful. An animal had bitten her and left a mark on her skin. 

"M-Max! Tell me it's going to fade out." Tears started to fill her eyes. Evelyn hated crying, because it made her feel weak. The mark on her neck made her feel weak.

"I'm sorry, Shy. It's not going anywhere. But it won't be that red always."

"No, no, no!" 

The small room started to make Evelyn feel claustrophobic. She needed to get out. 

"Max, I think I'm having a panic attack. I can't breath. I need to come out," she said.

"Shy. You need to stay there. Do not open that door," Max said. 

"I can't... This is all too much!" Evelyn started to sob.

"I know, Shy. But you have to stay there for a couple more hours. Then we'll get  you out safely. He is too close now. If you open that door, he'll catch your scent. Do you hear me, Shy?" Max asked. 

"Please, get him away."

"Dex and his guys are doing just that. And when we'll get you out, you can take meds. I'm sure it will give us enough time to get you away safely. Ok?"

"Ok."