19. Irish Wolf Blood

Evelyn heard the first door opened. Then the heavy safety door slide open and another woman, in her early 30s, stepped in. There was something about this woman that made Evelyn relax. Not only did she look stunning, but her eyes were filled with warmth and gentleness. She looked like she was a lawyer or a business woman in her dark grey suit and nude high heels. The woman put down her hand bag that looked more like a briefcase. 

As she started to walk towards them to the kitchen area, Evelyn experienced a strange wave of comfort. As if the woman had a gentle protective aura.  

"Thank you, Low. I'll take it from here," she said and pulled a chair for herself. Lower Manhattan nodded. Before she left, she squeezed Evelyn's shoulder and gave her a warm smile.

The woman waited for her to leave the apartment before she started to talk.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Evelyn."

"Well, Evelyn, my name is Fay. You're safe with us. With the She Wolf Pack."

"Thank you. But why am I here? And what is this She Wolf pack thing?"

For a moment there was a frown on Fay's face, but it soon changed into realization. 

"I better tell you everything."

Before she continued, Fay took s bracelet off from her wrist and, for Evelyn's surprise, she pulled Evelyn's hand on the table and put the bracelet on her. 

"We all have this kind of bracelet. It helps them to identify us. I need to get a new one, but before that's possible, you'll have to wear mine. But I'll explain... that later. How much do you know about us?"

"Us?"

"Yeah, us. Werewolves," Fay said. 

"Oh! Not much. I just found out. It still feels unreal."

"That's understandable. Your whole world view has changed."

"Yeah," Evelyn sighed. She thought about everything that had happened and shook her head. 

"You asked why you're here and who we are. This is a safe house for female werewolves, who are running from their mates. Some of these runaways have decided to stay here, some have fled to Europe or Africa. All who come to this apartment looking for help are welcomed guests. And if they decide to stay, they'll become members of the She Wolf Pack. You might not know this, but for werewolves it is natural to live in packs. It's the wolf blood in us. We are safer and stronger in packs. Normally packs have an alpa. A male werewolf who has alpha blood - a male who was born to lead the pack. But the She Wolf Pack doesn't have an alpha. I am the leader, but I'm not an alpha."

"What's the difference?" Evelyn asked.

"Well... Alphas are very dominant. They can easily manipulate weaker pack members. They demand respect. Actually all male werewolves do, but the alphas in particular. They were born to be followed," Fay explained. Then she laughed: "I, on the other hand, was not born to be followed."

"Oh," was all Evelyn could say. What Fay had told her sent shivers to her spine. A thought of someone so powerful made her nervous. She wondered if Shawn was an alpha. His presence had been quite overwhelming. 

"I had to learn to lead. It's not in my blood."

"What's in your blood then?"  Evelyn heard herself ask.

"Irish wolf blood. I'm a protector. I was born to protect. Just like my ancestors," Fay said. "Evelyn, I'll do everything I can to keep you safe. That is if you decide to stay with us."

If she stayed, she would become a member of this She Wolf Pack. Evelyn didn't quite know what that would mean, but Fay's comforting presence made her want in. She wanted to have Fay as her leader.

"Do you want to stay with us? Do you want to be part of us?" Fay asked.

Evelyn nodded. Fay smiled. 

"Great! We are happy to have you."

Evelyn looked around the empty apartment. Now that Lower Manhattan had left, there were no one else but the two of them. She couldn't help but wonder who the "we" were.

"Rest of the girls are still at work. There's a security control room downstairs and two of the ladies are there. Then the rest of us are out there in the "real world" earning money," Fay said.

"How many are there? I mean members of this... pack."

"7. And then we have friends. And because of these friends, we all wear these bracelets," Fay said and pointed Evelyn's wrist. "That way our friends can recognise us, since they're not werewolves."

"Are they just humans then?" Evelyn asked. 

 "Humans too. But mostly something else. The wolves who sent you to us, told Low that they had to give you meds and silver to keep your scent hidden. That it was too much for you to handle if your wolf side was awake. I can still smell it, but I think it's starting to wear off. Do you think you can handle him or do you need meds and silver to silence his voice?"

"I don't know. The pain was... so bad. But when I heard his voice, it's like he was calling me and my body wanted nothing else but to run back to him. And I don't want that. So maybe the meds then."

"Ok. Your own meds will push the wolf away and the silver changes your whole scent, not just your wolf scent. So it makes it impossible for him to find you. Despite that mark." 

Fay looked at the mark for awhile. She looked disgusted.

"Men," was all she said.

"Is it ok to touch it? I've tried to avoid it, but I just... I don't know."

"You want to touch it. And that's fine as long as your meds and the silver is in your body. But without them, touching the mark would have a much stronger effect on you than his voice. You couldn't stop yourself."

Slowly Evelyn lifted her hand and with her fingertip she brushed the outer line of the mark. It didn't make her feel anything. No sparks. Nothing. For her own fear, she felt disappointed. She quickly pulled her hand away from her neck.

"Do you have a mark?" she asked trying to make her mind think something else.

"No. My mate is... was kind and loving."

*************************************

I'm so excited I finally got the story to this point! I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'll try to update tomorrow, because Shawn is going crazy without his mate ;)

Votes would be a-mazing.

Comments would make me howl in the moonlight :D

Kisses,

M