6. Scentless

"I'm not getting into that car," Evelyn whispered. 

The man had told her that he would drive her back to the motel and take Eric back to his apartment. If Evelyn had felt confused earlier, now she was terrified. He didn't act like a normal person. Evelyn came to a conclusion, that he had to have mental problems because he wasn't drunk. Not only had he held her and demanded her to push him away, but he had also repeated many times: 

"What are you hiding?"

"I can't leave you here alone. It's the middle of the night," he stated and before Evelyn could do anything, the man lifted her from the ground and carried her to the car. She felt utterly helpless when the man placed her on the front seat and put her seatbelt on. She had never met anyone as strong as this man. He had carried her she was light as a feather. Then he closed the door and walked around the car. Evelyn tried not to look at this scary man as he sat down on the driver's seat. But there was something about him that made her eyes linger on him. 

They had driven in silence for almost 10 minutes. The man didn't seem to mind but Evelyn felt the need to break the silence. 

"Wh- what is your name?" she finally asked after gathering enough courage to open her mouth.

"Dex."

More silence. He was driving fast, not caring about the speed limits. 

"If you came here to cause trouble..." his voice was low. It made Evelyn shiver. "I'll deal with you personally," he continued. Though it was a threat he spoke it calmly. 

"I'm not... I-I... I'm here just to earn some money so I can get back on the road. I really mean no harm," Evelyn could barely stop herself from sobbing. 

The man nodded slowly never turning his eyes away from the road. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northfalls. She was here. Shawn parked his motorcycle and inhaled the fresh, yet cold air. He picked up a distant werewolf scent. He knew that Northfalls belonged to a pack, but it didn't bother him. He just hoped they'd leave him alone, so he could concentrate on Evelyn Hales. Knowing she was in this small town, made him anxious in the very best way. If he'd only known her scent, he'd be able to locate her right away. Now he was going to have to look around to find her. It was not going to be hard, though. Northfalls was a small town. It made him wonder, why  would she ever come here. It was a terrible place to hide. And she certainly had been hiding; making sure no one could find her. 

He decided to get a room from the motel. He was tired of driving for hours and hours and it was almost 1 AM. An older lady, who was annoyingly chatty, took him to his room. It was nothing special. Just a small worn-out room with tacky flower curtains and bed cover. As he was closing the curtains, he noticed a car parking in front of the motel. Then he saw something that made him chuckle. Though it was dark and the car was not that close, he saw a woman. And not just any woman. Evelyn Hales. 

"Well, hello," he whispered and couldn't stop chuckling. 

Evelyn started to walk away towards, what Shawn thought was her room door. It looked like she was trying to get away from the car as fast as possible. He cursed silently because he couldn't see anything else from the window. He decided to go out to see her room number. As he opened the door, the car drove off. Shawn noticed that Evelyn stood in front of her room door and was trying to find the key from her bag. She had her back to him and hadn't noticed him. It took all his willpower not to walk to her. He needed to keep away from her for a while. Just enough to make sure she really was who she was supposed to be. She finally found the key and opened the door. Before she stepped in, she froze. Slowly she turned her head to where Shawn had stood and watched her. But she didn't see anyone. Shawn knew not to risk it. He wanted to end this chase soon and making her run again was not an option. As she finally stepped into her room and closed the door, Shawn frowned. She didn't have a scent. Thought it was to be expected, it still disappointed him. He wanted to know what her scent was like. Damn antipsychotics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She could've sworn someone had been watching her, but there was no one when she looked around. What an awful night! First, her date had drunk too much, then she had been harassed by a mentally ill man and had to sit at least half an hour in the same car with him and now that she had finally gotten back, a creepy feeling of someone watching her filled her mind. It was so strong that it nearly made her scream. But the best thing to do was to go into her room and lock to door. She forced her feet to move and closed the door and double-checked that it was locked. Then she walked to her bed but didn't know what to do next. There was no way she could go to sleep feeling so anxious. She fought back the tears because they would not help her. She hated feeling this weak and it was a feeling she knew too well. For many years she had felt that someone was watching her. That was the second reason why she needed to be on the move all the time. It was totally an irrational feeling, but she couldn't help it. Just as today, there never was anyone. Just her crazy head warning her about a threat that didn't even exist. She knew she needed to get out of this town. In her mind, she counted the money she had earned waitressing at Billy's. She frowned; there wasn't much after buying the meds and ordering some camping stuff, like a tent, from an online shop. Maybe it would help to spend a couple of days camping. She really needed to get out of this town.