Alternate ending

Luke

-

Ring

Ring

Ring

I jolt awake, grabbing my phone and trying my best to read the name of the caller, but my eyes couldn't adjust to the sudden light to I press 'answer' "Hello?"

"I know its late but I just needed to hear your voice." It took me a few seconds to recognize the voice on the other end "Emily, is that you?" I hear her sniffle before confirming that it was her. I close my eyes and smile at the sound of her voice as it had been at least a year since I had heard it.

"I'm glad you called, but why did you? Its been so long.."

"Just go out on to the roof.." I furrow my eyebrows and check the clock '4:26' the clock read, why the hell would I want to go all the way up to the roof at this time for. "I can't its late, why do I need to go out to the roof?"

"God Luke just shut up and please go to the roof."

I hang up the phone shortly after I slip on a shirt and quickly go down the hall to my neighbor and asked him to keep on eye on Jackson for a few minutes, he didn't have a problem with it as he never really slept anyhow.

I sleepily climb up the ladder and on to the roof, pulling a cigarette from my jacket and lighting in quickly. I picked up the disgusting habit again shortly after Emily had left me for college. Now that I think about it, I hadn't been on this roof since I was with Emily, I guess it just reminded me too much of her.

As I blow the smoke out of my lungs I wonder why she had me come up here, was it to torture me from all the memories? There wasn't anything up here aside from a couple lawn chairs and a fire pit. I finish off my cigarette and swing my leg over the railing about to head back down the ladder when I hear music start playing, I knew instantly the it was the way it was by the killers, they had been Emily's favorite band and they kind of grew on me too I guess.
I swing my leg back over on to the roof and turn, I see a figure come into sight and I squint, trying to figure out who it was.

The figure comes closer into the light and I realize its Emily, with a speaker in one hand and a lighter in the other.

"I thought this would be romantic, but now I see that its kind of pathetic and stupid." She awkwardly chuckles, I don't speak. "Look I know it's been a year but I realized last night when I was laying in bed listening to the cure that I made a huge mistake leaving you. I was an idiot, I didn't know what I had until it was gone but I hope you can forgive me and I hope things can go back to the way it was."

I still don't say anything.

She sets down the speaker, tosses the lighter on the roof and comes closer.

"I'm going to look so stupid doing this but I really don't care." She speaks, leaning down on one knee, my eyebrows furrow.
"Marry me, Luke. Let me come home." I wanted to laugh in her face and tell her to leave, tell her that it was far too late to come back and beg for me back. But I knew I would be stupid if I did, because I was so desperately in love with her and I knew I would regret it if I didn't take her back.

"You're an idiot." I say bluntly, covering my mouth almost instantly. I didn't mean to sound rude, I was expecting it to come out with a smile or a chuckle. "I mean, you're an idiot for waiting so damn long to come back home to me."

"I'm sorry I did that. I was foolish, obviously. But I promise you Luke I won't ever leave again. I belong here with you and Jackson, with all your stupid friends and this stupid roof that we can't seem to stop hanging out on." She chuckles lightly with a couple tears streaming down her cheek, I wipe them away with the sleeve of my leather jacket before picking her up and pressing my lips against hers.

I'm a shitty writer lmao

2 more books left in the series yikes.

I hope this made up for the original end lol.