Two

Luke

"Read pages 32-35 in your textbooks and don't forget the dead line for your essay is Monday so if you haven't started yet I'd get on that, you may go now and have a safe new year."
I begin clearing the white board as the pile of students quickly exit my room. I sigh heavily, grateful that the day has ended so I could go home and spend my night with Calum getting piss drunk and hopefully meeting someone who could accompany me in the bedroom but I had a feeling that I wouldn't have much luck with that as Calum has horrible taste in the woman that he brings around my apartment.

I catch the bus just in time and spend my long ride home listening to a baby cry and a couple fighting, it was certainly something that I didn't miss about my past relationship with Carly, all we ever seemed to do was fight and if we weren't fighting we were fucking like animals, now that I do miss.

______

"Happy new year!" My friends scream before they take a shot of whatever liquid had filled their shot glasses, Arzaylea tries to kiss me but I shove her off, she was another one of the girls Calum brought round a lot that I had slept with in my drunken state and now like many of them, she thought that it would be a recurring thing but I didn't plan on doing it again she just couldn't get the fucking memo.

I set my cup down on the counter before making my way to the window, I unlock it and with my luck I managed to slip out without anyone seeing me, I climb the stairs carefully making my way up to the roof top that I prayed would he empty because I had the overwhelming need to be alone right now, many of my nights were spent up on the roof that's where I get all my thinking done, its my safe haven I suppose. There wasn't anything that made the place special, I just felt at peace up there.

When I reach the roof I notice the girl from yesterday morning standing at the far corner, I make my way past her quickly and quietly and sit on one of the benches that I had brought up here so many years ago, I reach into the empty clay pot and smile when I feel the familiar small cardboard box and the lighter next to it, smoking wasn't something I did often but nights like this when I'm feeling this empty the smoke filling my lungs made me feel something instead of numbness and depression.

I sneak a look over my shoulder at the girl as she looked down at the empty glowing streets, she looked stressed and I didn't know whether I should say something or not so I just stay quiet and enjoy my cigarette.

"Can I have one of those?" Her voice is hoarse as if she had been crying, I give her a nod and toss the small box over to her then repeat my action with the lighter. "How old are you?" She rolls her eyes "17, why?"
I shrug as she tosses my things back to me and then stares back down at the street.

"Do you ever wonder what it would be like to jump from this high up?" I let out a laugh at the question, almost choking on the smoke "Not really."

"Do you think it would hurt?"

"I'd assume so, but only for a few seconds if your lucky."

She raises her eyebrows "What's your name?"

"Luke."

There was something about her that interested me and no matter how wrong I knew it would be to try to figure her out I didn't care, something about her was so inviting.

I hope this isn't too shitty xx