Chapter 35

the song that i chose today is

Stronger by Kanye West

i hope you enjoy it :)

______________________________

Chapter 35

My heart lurched when I saw Holly’s phone on the Tom-Tom screen. The phone was disappearing fast from the edges of the screen showing how quick the werewolves actually travel. It took Holly a while to draw her eyes from the GPS device.

The ride was bumpy causing me to hang out the window occasionally trying not to throw up my breakfast. The colour of the dirt brought back the memory of the first time I was here. I leant my head against the glass like I did on the bus looking out at the scenery. The hills were tall and sandstorms blew down the side like the flow of water. Just thinking at how close I am to Seth brought tears to my eyes. I haven’t seen him in so long and now the proximity between us was so minimal.

I knew the distance was still huge and it would take us hours to get to the cave but I was nearer than before. The car jumped and I groaned against the glass. My stomach gurgled and I swallowed down some bile.

“Look at the clouds,” Holly advised. “It helps me when I went on long trips with my parents.”

I looked up and studied the grey clouds. In just an hour the beautiful blue sky and bright day had turned into something of an oncoming of a storm. Soon the terrain will be washed with the cool water of rain and the clouds will bash together angrily. But Holly was right, in short enough time my stomach was calming down and I felt a whole lot better. Being pregnant and on a bumpy road trip is extremely unpleasant.

I shut my eyes tight trying to think of something else but the war and the extreme anxiety that burned in my brain and chest.

I must have fallen asleep because when I opened my eyes it was dark and rain crashed against the glass. Lightning flashed in the sky making me jump and thunder vibrated through the car. I was glad the roof was up because we would be completely soaked by now. I pulled myself up rubbing my cheek which was creased from the rippled leather of the door. I leant against the headrest and clipped the seatbelt.

I rubbed all the sleep from my eyes. “How long have you been driving?”

“About three hours, you were out for a while. I actually thought you were dead for a second you were that silent.”

I looked at the Tom-Tom that was stuck on the dashboard. I still couldn’t see the signal from Holly’s phone because it had disappeared from the page. “KEEP GOING STRAIGHT, DO NOT TURN,” the robotic voice said.

“I didn’t think it would take this long,” I groaned.

When I think of the holiday I had taken with my sister, the bus ride was a long trip and we hadn’t even reached the city yet and I thought it was shorter than this. Maybe because I had stuff to occupy me with...and my sister.

A voice in the back of my head was afraid. It keep telling me all my negative thoughts that I had been able to bottle up

‘Would the battery in the Tom-Tom last?’

‘Would the battery in the phone last?’

‘Will the phone fall out of Alisha’s grasp and break?’

‘Will I ever be welcomed and loved by Seth again?’

‘Will I get there in time?’

I scrunched up my face scolding myself. The little paranoid voice disappeared and I was just left with the noise of the pouring rain. I did feel frightened, I admit that...but it was the fact that I could break down in front of Seth. I didn’t want to go through the incident in the hospital again. If that happened he wouldn’t believe how confident I am about peace.