Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“I know what you mean.” He mumbled to himself. He did. He lost his mother and every other woman. He could have lost his mate. I don’t know what I would do if I had lost the love of my life, my mate, my other half. I would crash and burn.

“I know.” I said feeling empathy. We were very much alike except for the obvious exceptions: he was a guy and a werewolf. I don’t think you could get any further apart.

“How did she die?” he asked me, stroking my fingers gently before pulling away.

“Car crash. I was nine. Not the greatest thing to tell everyone when you come back from school.” I fake laughed. Breaking the uncomfortable tension, it wasn’t really working.

“Everyone here died when the women disappeared. It was like everyone’s heart had burst or shattered. So much that not even we could put it back together. All the women died 2 years ago.” I could hear tears in his voice.

“I am so sorry, Seth. I guess living, isn’t as easy as in books or movies. Where the knight in shining armour rescues the girl and the lost child gets found.” I paused taking a shaky breath. “No. when we shatter, it’s permanent.” I shut my eyes tight trapping the tears behind my lids. I didn’t want to cry, not at this moment.

“Yeah, but I do hope, no wish that someday I can pick up the pieces.” Seth looked at me when he said the last part. I swallowed hard and it made my throat tight. Please don’t be referring to us. There is no us, I don’t want there to be an ‘us’. Ok I did, but only if he was human and we weren’t in this confusing situation.

I pursed my lips to stop a sob and instead my lip trembled. And I was pretty sure Seth saw it. Damn my luck. I gripped my hands tightly making my knuckled turn white and my nails cut my palms. I was using so much force to stop my self from crying and I was almost ready to bawl. I let out an ‘almost sob’ and inhaled deeply. I was calmer, thank god. Now just to face the here and now.

I opened my eyes and prepared for an unrehearsed speech. And then Seths lips crashed down on mine again. I did nothing. I was to shocked at his urgent lips. My eyes did not close in pleasure. The kiss wasn’t cold but uuncomfortable and awkward; at least on my behalf. Seth pulled my head towards him so our lips were almost crushed. He continued for a few more seconds then pulled away.

His eyes were filled with tears. He blinked them back quickly when he thought I didn’t see them. Shame I was so observant. He got up and walked to the cave entrance leaving me confused and surprised. Seth turned and looked over his broad shoulder. “I will always feel something, Hayley. And no matter how hard you ignore yours, I will never mine.” He paused like he was giving up. He sighed. “Although, I will understand your decision and it wont get in the way of things.”

My lip trembled again and a tear rolled down my cheek. So emotional today; so embarrassing. I nodded and smiled a small smile. He smiled back genuinely and walked inside.

I got up and followed behind him. A big and empty space between us.

It felt as though my heart was breaking all over again. No, I can’t be feeling this way. I won’t let myself. I turned around so no one could see me and I cleaned myself up. I didn’t want my group to be suspecting something that doesn’t exist.

And then I walked into the cave. The music was still going but was really quiet, not like its normally booming noise. Everyone had stopped dancing and were just calmly mingling. All my group looked relaxed talking about themselves with werewolves. It was a dramatic difference to what I had seen a few hours before.

I walked up to the woman who had given up her child. She was the only one who I knew was a mother and I needed a mother right now. I know I was being selfish but to function properly I have to spill. EVERYTHING. I tapped her on the shoulder and she turned around with a smile. She blushed when she saw me. Ooooh what has she been doing? Behind her I saw a middle aged werewolf with the same face she had on. Oh, I see. I think they were flirting. Ok, ewww. Wasn’t she a mother, didn’t that mean she had a husband. So why was she flirting with another guy?