[Chapter Five]

When you stop stressing about life, it gets moving without you even realising it

When you stop stressing about life, it gets moving without you even realising it. Like a hazed blur that seems like it was just yesterday that I uploaded my video – it's been a couple of months since that momentous occasion. Just over four million people are subscribed to my social media accounts.

Everyone's still on the hunt, desperate to uncover the girl behind the mask. They'd even dedicated episodes of popular talk shows to discuss their theories, even resorted to begging for an answer. But I adore this mysterious vibe and the confidence that comes with it.

I want to tell Mum and Hannah that the girl they so desperately cling to actually live down the hall from them, but I'm worried about what they might say or think.

However, I worry that they might say something by accident and my whole masked identity goes up in flames. The Masked Singer needs to stay like that for now, because being Riley Brenton didn't sound too appealing.

"What are you thinking about," Lucy asks.

It's our first weekend for our summer break, but all I want to do is hide under my blanket and avoid the real world. Too many decisions needed to be made, and I don't feel up to the task just yet.

"Thinking about my future," I reply.

"What about it?" Lucy rolls onto her side so that she can look at me.

"Do I make something out of TMS, or do I just keep it as a hobby on the side? I love music, but do I really love it enough to spend the rest of my life just doing that?" A pondering look crosses Lucy's face.

"If you sign onto something serious, there's no going back. You can't turn it off like a YouTube channel."

As always, Lucy's nuggets of wisdom are right; signing up to a record label would mean that I would have more obligations than uploading the odd singing video here and there. I'd have to agree to complete a lot more things that a low quality singing video. This isn't a decision to be taken lightly.

"You're the only one I can talk to about this," I grimly say.

Lucy climbs off the bed and sits in front me, her face mirroring my gloomy one. "You know, this whole thing is more than we can handle, maybe you should consider telling them?"

A small giggle escapes my lips, and then a loud chuckle. "They wouldn't believe me, even if I told them."

"What if they do? You've got a bigger support network then."

"I might tell them," I whisper.

My parents are going to think I'm completely crazy when I first tell them, but after that it should be interesting to see what they will do. Scream in excitement or frustration. Mum and Hannah would be happy considering their obsession. However I'm not sure how my father feels about this whole thing.