Laced - Chapter 40 (The Big Night)

Disclaimer: This was written over 10 years ago, and the author no longer agrees with many of the concepts found in this story. Some of the content will be cringey and/or problematic. Please remember this is entirely fictional and does not represent the author's beliefs.

Twitter: dazzleizzy

Copyright © 2012-2023

~~

Abby's POV

I scurried backstage, a smile on my face. Although I would never actually admit it out loud, the way Master Zayn was angry about what I'd worn in a primal way out of jealousy made the blood in my veins sing, giving me a new surge of confidence. Quickly making my way over to the small circle of contestants,  I pushed my way through the crowd so that I could listen to Niall, who was explaining what would happen next.

"...first round I'll pick out your names out of this hat, and that'll be the duet you'll be in. Out of each duet, only one person makes it forward to the next round - and there can only be 4 people moving to the next round. Is everybody ready?"

He earns cheers from the small group, and I spot Harry across from me, excitement in his face. He doesn't look up, so I turn my attention back on Niall.

"Alright then, let's get started!" In his hands is a black fedora, and I can just barely see pieces of paper neatly folded inside. Niall digs his hands in, and pulls two cards out.

"And our first duet pairing will be...." he opens the cards, "Harry...and Elle!"

The small group cheers, and I see the two move towards each other and begin to discuss their song choices.

"Our next group...Louis, and Amber." Niall says her name in complete adoration, looking up and winking at her as she made her way to Louis' side.

"And it looks like I'm paired with Kitty. Kitty, come on over here!" Nia waves, and she quickly pads to his side.

"Alright, our next duet consists of...Abby,"

I freeze. Me? Me and who? Niall is fumbling with next paper, and he's struggling to open it. "Mind holding this for me?" He asks Kitty and hands her the fedora.

"Abby's partner is....hold up...it's Perrie!"

Of fucking course.  I roll my eyes in annoyance. Although I did help her out not too long ago, I've always gotten the feeling that she didn't like me, and I wasn't sure why.

While Niall continues to announce more duet groups, I search for Perrie. She's changed into a short, salmon colored cocktail dress, and she looks absolutely furious. When I walk over to her, she huffs in annoyance and glares at me.

"Perr-" I begin to say, only to be cut off.

"I'll be back. Give me two minutes." She says, and then stalks off in the opposite direction and away from the backstage area.