Laced - Chapter 18 (Caught Red-Handed)

Disclaimer: This was written over 10 years ago, and the author no longer agrees with many of the concepts found in this story. Some of the content will be cringey and/or problematic. Please remember this is entirely fictional and does not represent the author's beliefs.

Twitter: dazzleizzy

Copyright © 2012-2022

~~

Half an hour had already passed, and Harry still hadn't returned.

I had kept myself distracted with the aquarium, but as each minute passed by, my curiosity soared higher. What was the emergency? What was taking Harry so long?

I got up off his bed, checking the time. His alarm clock read 12:31AM.

I flicked on the light switches, pacing around in his room. When was he going to come back?

I walked around for a few more minutes, pacing back and forth.

If he wasn't going to be back by 12:45, I was going to go see what was going on. Since Zayn had left and probably wasn't going to be back until tomorrow, there would be nobody to call me out for being out of my room late at night.

I sat back down on his bed, wondering why Harry been so worried when I picked up those papers. I wondered what they had been - why he had hurriedly put them away, and why he hadn't he wanted me to see them.

Curiosity was eating at me, but I resisted the urge to pull out the papers. I was going to respect his privacy.

I took another glance at the aquarium, and then checked the time. The red of the digital alarm clock glared at me, telling me it was 12:43.

I stood up, heading towards the door. I brushed my unfractured hand to the light switches, turning them off before I headed out of the room.

I quickly made my way out of the upper slaves' quarters, hesitant and careful to not get caught. Surprisingly, no one was in the halls. It was eerily quiet, so I tip-toed as to not make any noise.

I passed by the main entrance of the mansion, and continued on to the hospital wing. I had lost count of how long I'd been here at the mansion, but I knew it didn't account for too many days, however, I knew my way around pretty well.

As I approached the hospital wing, I quickly came up with a lie in case I was asked why I was here. Well, it wasn't exactly a lie, because I had a headache and needed some painkillers. Simple as that.

Entering the hospital wing, my ears perked up at a sound. Was that.....sobbing?

As I approached the waiting room, my eyes fell on a particular someone that happened to be the last person I expected to be here.

Oh shit.

Zayn.

What was he doing here? Wasn't he supposed to go to Sykes' s place tonight?

He stood, pacing back and forth, looking stressed and frustrated all at the same time.

He looked up quickly, his eyes narrowing when the fell on me.

I felt like a deer paralyzed by headlights, blanking on what I should do or say.

"What are you doing here?" Zayn growled, glaring at me.

"I...I-I, um, needed some-"

I was cut off when a very distressed looking Harry rushed out of the room, his eyes searching until the landed on Zayn.

I heard what seemed like hysterical sobbing or crying, and screaming from the room, and my curiosity ate away at me. Who was in the room, and what was wrong?