Chapter Four : Into the Consuming Gaze

After a few hours of being beside the girl, I found three things about her.

   First, she was quiet.

   Second, her last name was Hamasaki.

   And third, she smelled so good.

   I hadn't experienced the power of her eyes again. She wouldn't look at my direction, which was a good decision. Because I was fighting so damn hard to keep my thirst at bay.

   This was the second time I felt this kind of thirstiness. The provocative smell tempted me once again to lure everyone out and lock myself and this girl in this room, alone.

   My hands were both in a tight fist on the wooden desk as I made a hole through the white board with my eyes.

   Adding to her scent was the smell of warm bloods of teenagers around. I was sure I was in hell.

   The bell rang, saving everyone from me.

   "Okay, I want you to read the next chapter and we'll have a graded recitation tomorrow."

   I was up from my chair and out of the room right after our History teacher said her good bye.

   I was thirsty again. Before, after I gulped every blood from the human's system I could stay sated for a few weeks or a whole month even. I could fight the hum of thirst from time to time but damn, inhaling  that girl's scent made me abnormal than I already was.

   It was lunch break for the humans. I should use that time to quench this thirst in me too.

   "Prince Charming! Hey!" Byo's arm snaked around my shoulders while I curl my fingers on my pant's front pockets.

   "You okay?"

   Now that I was away from her, I think I was.

   I nodded as an answer and glare ahead.

   He stirred me to one corner and smiled widely. "Great! Let's get our lunch!"

   "They're everywhere." I murmured under my breath.

   That caused him to laugh and shook his head. "Your humor sucks!"

   "I'm stating the truth."

   Byo threw a rectangular bento and an orange juice on my tray. I didn't argue, nothing would taste better than blood with the exception of the girl's.

   I shook my head faintly and followed Byo to our table. I should stop thinking about her, it wouldn't do any good to me.

   After a few fights and control, the hum ghostly faded away and I was now staring down at a few strips of raw fish.

   "Hmmm..." Byo made this sound of appreciation when the fish was finally in his mouth.

   I squinted my eyes as I watch him take another raw fish and chew it. I was doubting if my brother was really one of us.

   "That's his favorite food." Umi said, taking the seat beside Byo.

   I shook my head and glared at the food on my plate. They were never tasty, but they could add nutrients in our system.

   "I don't even know how you picked that as your favorite." I mumbled and snatched my orange juice on the table. I leaned back on my seat, put my ankle on the knee of my other leg and took a swig.

   "Because, Ruki... Because..." Byo answered and chewed another fish.

   "How did your first classes go?" Umi was the one who asked, poking her food on her plate.