Chapter 16

*One Week Later*

Selena's POV;

"HAPPY BIRTHDAAYYYYYYYY!" My annoying little brother, Michael barging in my room jumping on top of me. "Get off of me, Mike." I groaned, but then chuckled at his excited look, I knew why he was excited. Every year for my birthday, my mom always had a big dinner and made a big cake with her secret recipe. Michael loves food, so bascially Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday, and his birthday we all get stuffed with my mom's cooking.

"Mommy made breakfast!" Michael squeeled running downstairs, I chuckled getting out of bed. Sadly, it was a school day. Luckily, it was Friday, but I still wasn't feeling the whole school thing.

I walked downstairs to the smell of bacon and pancakes. "Happy birthday, sweetie!" My mom greeted me. I'm turning 16 today, to me it wasn't that big of a deal. It's just an age, just like any other number.

I sat down in the dining room as my mom handed me a plate of bacon, and three pancakes stacked together with chocolate chips made into a smiley face. My mom is such a dork, she was just like my dad. I remembered the way his eyes sparkled everyday when he looked at me, Michael, or my mom. I missed him. A lot.

Gah, I shouldn't think thoughts sad today. My dad wouldn't wanna see me sad, expecially on my birthday. I shook off the memory as I happily ate my breakfast. "You can be late to school today, I took off work." My mom told me which brightened my mood a bit more. I did not want to ride a bus full of annoying girls drooling over the jocks.

I put my dish in the sink as I took out some orange juice and poured some to down my food. "So what did you get for my birthday?" I asked my mom after I gulped down the juice. "Oh, you'll see." My mom told me, I hated surprises. 

I walked upstairs to get ready, since it's my birthday I should look a bit decent. I turned on my Chelsea Grin playlist and turned it to the loudest as I searched on what to wear. I soon decided on high-wasted black skinny jeans, and a cropped Nirvana top. I curled my jet black hair and put in hairpsray for the curls to stay. 

I added thick eye liner to my eyes with a wing, mascara, and some foundation. I put on my combat boots and took one last look in the mirror before heading to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth while humming the intruments to Recreant by Chelsea Grin coming from my room.

I finished brushing and washed my hands. "Why are they always screaming?!" I heard Michael yell from his room. I chuckled at his comment to my music. I walked back to my room to turn off my music and slipped my phone into my back pocket. I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket a few times. One from Amanda, two from Ariel, and one from Melanie. I haven't talked to Melanie in forever. I smiled down at my phone, all were birthday wishes. 

I told my mom I was ready for school and she grabbed her car keys. We started for the car and I plugged in my headphones, I never liked communicating in the car or bus.

We soon arrived the dark, least favorited place I liked, school. The lawn was empty and the buses were gone, so classes must've already began. I got out of the car saying goodbye to my mom, closing the door walking towards the walker's entrance.

I got a late pass and headed to first period, I still can't believe I went to this dreadful place on my birthday. I hope this day goes by fast. 

And to start off my day, some stupid algebra we didn't need to know ever when we're adults. I copied down what was on the board, trying to get what the teacher was explaining. Before the end of class, the teacher announced a test next Tuesday. Great.