Chapter 1

Maddie's POV

"Maddie, honey, time for bed." Miss Caroline said as she leaned her head in through my doorway.  I nodded and then she left.  I went over and closed the door so I could change.  It was only girls who lived here, but I still liked my privacy.  After closing my door I went over to the dresser that contained my clothes, which there was a good amount of.  I didn't have nearly as many as the other girls at my school.  Some of those girls wore a different outfit every day for a month, and never repeated.

I liked my clothes though.  I had about eight shirts, two sweaters, three pairs of jeans, two pairs of shorts, two pairs of leggings, four skirts, one jean jacket, three dresses, and two pairs of pajamas.  I have socks and underwear too, but I don't know how many.  So I had more than some of the other girls here, but my clothes were usually hand me downs from the older girls that outgrew them.  My favorite thing to wear was the pink leggings, the purple shirt, and if it was cold, the jean jacket too.  I liked it because I could wear it at school, but I could also dance and play in it.

I loved dancing!  One of the older girls here (Emma, she's thirteen) learned how to dance when she lived with her parents.  She's a pretty good dancer and taught some of us how to do dance stuff.  I liked the gymnastics moves more.  I would turn cartwheels all day long if I could!  I'd fold myself into back bends, touch my toes to the back of my head, and I really wanted to learn how to do flips and stuff.

I pulled out the nightgown from the door and set it on my bed.  I took off the clothes I wore today and changed into the purple tie-dye nightgown.  Purple is my favorite color, well purple and pink!  I wish I could paint the walls in my room purple and pink.  The walls are a yellowing white and it's kinda icky.  My dream room is purple or pink, has room to dance around, a desk to draw and color at, maybe has my name painted on the wall.  That would be cool.  Purple room and in big, curly, white letters it says 'Maddie'.  That would be perfect.

I took my hair out of the braid that my next-room-neighbor Dana did.She was like a hair and makeup guru.  She spent all her time using her school issued laptop to look at makeup and hair videos.  Dana was sixteen and wanted to go to beauty school, she would be out of here soon.  

I wanted to get out of here so badly.  I had been here since forever.  I don't know why I'm here, Miss Caroline just said I was given to the house when I was a few days old.  She doesn't call it an orphanage, because to her we are all her children living in her house.  So instead she calls it 'The Girl's Home'.  And it isn't some big place that looks like a warehouse.  It's just a house.

"Maddie!  I told you ten minutes ago to go to sleep.  We have some people coming tomorrow.  You need to be well rested." Miss Caroline said as she opened my door.  She must have seen the light on underneath the door.  "Sorry.  Goodnight." I said.  She said goodnight, closed the door, and left.  I turned off the light and got into bed under the blue blanket.  I didn't like going to sleep because I didn't like the dark or being alone.  There's another bed in my room where another girl used to be, but she left about two months ago.  Her name was Sophie and she was okay I guess.  I liked having her here because I knew that if something happened at night, we would have each other.

I never liked being alone.  I don't like all the darkness and the little sounds you hear to freak yourself out.  That's why I usually have the night light on, but the bulb burnt out so now I'm out of luck.  I also have a childish fear of something under my bed.  Not of monsters, but of someone else.  You always hear about people sneaking into houses and hiding, and I just worry someone is hiding under my bed.

It's scary to think about so I like to listen to music.  Dana gave me her CD player since she didn't use it after she bought an iPod.  I spent the whole summer when I was six to do jobs for the people who lived around us, son I could earn money to buy CDs.  I bought Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Katy Perry, and a Now That's What I Call Music CD.  I went to the neighbor's houses and asked if there was anything I could do to earn money for the summer.  They probably felt bad because In was from the 'Girl's House', but being six and adorable also helped me out.

 We didn't live in the middle of no where.  I was a two story house with 12 bedrooms, a big kitchen and dining room, and two living rooms.  The bedroom closest to the main entrance was Miss Caroline's.  The living room closest to the entrance was where all the work stuff happened.  It's where parent's would come to meet us, where all the final information and stuff would be finalized, and when someone was adopted it was the last room of this place they saw.

I eventually got lost in my own thoughts and found myself falling asleep.  I had one of the dreams I always have.  The one where I meet some beautiful family and they adopt me and we go to their big house and we play in the backyard.  They enroll me in dance or gymnastics and I show them all the stuff I've learned.  We eat dinner together and talk about our day, and then at night they would turn on a night light, tell me goodnight, and say those three magic words.

I Love You.

***

New Story!  Tell me if you like this first chapter!  BTW: This isn't a FanFiction like I normally do.  This is just a General Fiction book that I hope you guys like!