Dream schemes

(Edited: 01.01.16)

Arianna's POV

We sat at the handmade oak wood table in our home, quietly eating the dinner mother prepared. Finn had returned earlier with the food supplies we did not grow, from further in the village.

There was not laughter, no smiles.

The air was thick with tension, as it often was. It was always the same, the cause - Father.

I stared down at my boar stew, my distaste for it has never dimmed since the first time our mother had made it. Because of her technique at making the stew, I would never be able to enjoy the meal elsewhere again.

Rebekah cleared her throat, gaining all of our attention. "Finn, how was your trip today? I hope there was no trouble"

"Yes, the trip was good. There was no trouble." He muttered, obviously noticing Rebekah's attempt to lower the tension. My brothers had filled him in when he returned.

I resisted frowning at him, I never did like when someone would repeat the same words as an answer, or a question.

I then rolled my eyes, my fave still tilted down at the hardwood bowl. There would be no tension in the air if our Father was less cruel.

"Thank you for dinner Mother," I said, standing up from my seat.

I had always sat between Henrik and Nik. He was next to Father, at the head of the table whilst Henrik was next to Mother, at the other head of the table.

It was made for eight, after all.

"Sit." Father ordered.

My jaw clenched as I stared at him, "I have finished." I said, trying to keep the anger I was feeling out of the tone of my voice.

My siblings shared a look between myself and our parents, in fear of what was to come.

"I said sit Arianna." He snarled, standing up.

"And I said I am finished, why sit here when I am no longer eating," I answered calmly, not allowing the spiking of my temper to get the best of me.

"You will sit here until you are exused from this table." He yelled, slaming his fists onto the table. The several of the bowls shook from impact.

"May I be exused, Father?" I asked meekly.

"No." He said, sitting down again.

"Why not!" I snapped, straining to keep anger away.

Already knowing my intensions, Niklaus and Henrik grabbed my hands and yanked me downwards until my bottom hit the wooden chair.

"Calm down Aria," Henrik whispered.

"Why should I calm down?" I hissed, ripping my hands away from my brothers grasps. I stood, the old chair, falling to the dirt floor. I stepped back. "Why do you always ruin any fun we try to have?" I asked our father, "Well? Why must you always interfere? You can not use survival for an excuse every time!"

Before Father could yelled any answer back at me, someone else did. "Arianna, sit down, now."

I turned to her, I have never, in the entirety of my life, felt this much rage. It was as if something snapped. This sudden heat burst inside, my chest felt as if it were weighed down by hot coals, causing my legs to shake slightly underneath my woollen gown.