Chapter 8 - Liam's POV

It's 15 minutes until the presentation and the lacrosse field was filled with fans sitting on the stands. Lydia and Kira were sitting together, trying to get their kids to sit down and stop running up the stairs. Helping them was Mason, who was running after Scott's 3-year-old son, Nate, up the stairs.

"He's good with kids, isn't he?" Cory asked.

I smiled as Nate laughed when Mason threw him over his shoulder and walked down the stairs laughing with him. "Yeah, he is," I looked back at Mason's husband, and noticed a spark in his eyes, almost as if he just made a decision that would change his life forever.

"He's been talking about adopting kids lately." Cory beamed as he saw Mason playing Patty Cake with Allie. "I wasn't ready, but seeing how kids make him happy and how badly he wants one, it makes me question why I was scared in the first place."

I looked back at the stands and immediately spotted Mack and Madi sitting between my parents. "Corey, you're going to be scared and worried all the time. Sometimes you'll even doubt yourself and believe you're doing everything wrong, but trust me when I say it's worth it. Your kids will bring you this sort of joy only you can experience yourself. It can't be explained, but it's an amazing feeling being a parent." I smiled back at my girls who were smiling back and waving at me.

I waved back before looking at Corey. "You two would be great dads, and if you're worried about it, don't be because you'll have Mason by your side."

"Thanks Liam," He patted my shoulder. "I appreciate it."

He walked towards Mason, where I was sure he was about to tell him he's finally ready to adopt and start a family together.

I looked back at the empty row between my parents and Lydia, Kira, and their kids. I scanned the crowd who were making their way to their seats. My eyes flickered over to the people who were lined up at the concession stand, buying snacks before the game started.

"Liam," the principal walked up to me and shook my hand. "This is a great turn out."

"Thank you, sir."

"Are you ready to start?" He asked.

I looked back at my little support group and the middle bench was still empty. I quickly scanned the crowd again and I noticed Scott and Stiles jogging towards me.

"Mr. Harvey," Stiles shook his hand. "It's nice to see you again."

Mr. Harvey was asking Stiles if he was staying out of trouble when I asked Scott, "Do you see her?"

"No," Scott answered, knowing exactly who I was referring to. "She said she would be here," Scott scanned the crowd.

"It seems like you haven't changed, Stiles. I remember how you were constantly good at stalling," Mr. Harvey gave Stiles the side eye before looking back at me. "Are you ready, Liam?"

"I'm not late, am I?" I finally heard a familiar voice, making my muscles instantly relax.

I turned around and saw Y/N sitting down with Isabella in the middle row between my family, and Lydia, Kira, Mason, and the kids. "I'm ready," I let out a deep breath.

I followed Mr. Harvey to the center of the field. Behind us, on the left side of the field stood the previous alumni lacrosse players. Scott, Stiles, Kira, Jackson, Danny, Corey, and Greenberg, along with a couple of more guys who were all in their new maroon jerseys with their old jersey numbers. On the right side of the field, my kids were in their white jerseys, patiently waiting for the game to start.

"I want to thank you all for coming out tonight," The crowd cheered and applauded to Mr. Harvey's introduction. "And I want to thank Coach Liam Dunbar for arranging this event. Liam, would you like to say a few words?"

I cleared my throat and pulled the microphone in front of me as I looked up at the crowd. The stadium was so quiet you could hear a needle drop. Every single pair of eyes was on me and suddenly I felt like I was standing in the middle of the field in my underwear. My mouth felt like it was covered in sand, too dry to talk.

My eyes averted to my girls, my parents, and finally on Y/N. She looked so worried. I couldn't tell about what, but looking at her made my racing heart calm down. She nodded, encouraging me to speak. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I focused on Y/N as I spoke. "I want to thank you again for coming out." The crowd applauded.

"As you all know, we've recently lost someone we all loved. He was a great father, a wonderful man, and a huge supporter to our lacrosse team. Joe Y/L/N never missed a game since I was in high school. He was the one who encouraged me to coach lacrosse since I loved the sport so much and didn't want to leave it after high school. When I got the job to coach at my Alma Mater, Joe was the first person I told. Sorry, Mom and Dad." The crowd erupted in laughter.

"Joe was thrilled I got the job and insisted on coming to all my games, just like in high school. He loved the boys and became a role model to the boys over the years.

"Joe always gave back and supported the lacrosse team and was a part of the booster club. I approached Principal Harvey with the idea of renaming the field and he loved the idea. Then, we talked to the school board members and they approved it. But before I reveal the name, there's one more thing."

My eyes never once left Y/N's. I took a deep breath as I looked directly into her teary eyes, which I wanted nothing more than to run up and wipe away when they would escape from the corner of her eyes and fall down her cheeks.

"Tonight's game is for charity. Everything we raise in ticket sales, with the concession stand and at the merch table will all go to the Joe Y/N/L scholarship. Beacon Hills athletes will have the chance to apply for a scholarship for college."

Everyone in the crowd clapped and cheered excitedly, except for Y/N, who cheeks were damped from the fallen tears. She looked so fragile, but her tears were genuine. She was truly touched and emotional about all of this. Every muscle in my body wanted to run to her and wrap my arms to comfort her and take her pain away.

"Without further ado welcome to our new Joe Y/L/N Lacrosse Stadium, " Mr. Harvey pulled me out of my trance as he pulled the black curtain and revealed a huge poster board with a picture of the lacrosse field with the new name. "Let's get the alumni vs. current class game started."

The whistle blew as the players made their way to the field or bench. I looked back to the stands and noticed Y/N mouth a 'thank you'. I nodded before running off towards my team.