Chapter 22 - Liam's POV

The school bell rang, signaling the beginning of my lunch hour. The wheels on my desk chair squeaked a little as I rolled back. I grabbed my keys and phone from the first drawer before closing the lacrosse playbook on my desk. I quickly made my way around my crowded office to the door and locked it. I turned around and jumped as a pair of brown eyes was about a foot away from my face.

"Geez! Mason! Don't sneak up on me like that." My hand flew to my chest, feeling my rapid heartbeat underneath.

Mason chuckled. "Sorry, looks like my ninja skills are working."

I rolled my eyes.

"Are we still on for lunch?" He asked as we walked to the teacher's parking lot just outside the gym.

I nodded. "I'm on my way to the grocery store. I'll meet you at the cemetery."

"Sounds good." Mason pulled his keys from his pocket as we reached our cars. "You want the usual?"

"Yeah, except can you make my drink a chocolate milkshake instead of a coke?"

"That's Joe's favorite," Mason smiled. "I think I'll do the same."

I smiled and nodded at him as we got into our cars and drove our separate ways.

Every Wednesday afternoon, Mason and I would go to Joe's house for lunch. This was the first Wednesday without Joe and it didn't seem right. Mason thought we could sort of continue the tradition by eating lunch together and visit Joe at the cemetery. At first, I thought it would be weird eating lunch in a cemetery, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense why we should do it. Despite Joe being gone, it wouldn't seem any different. We would still all be together and we'd talk amongst each other. Except this time, Mason and I would catch Joe up on our lives.

I only had an hour. I wasn't going to waste any minute. I quickly drove to the grocery store and picked out two bouquets of flowers. I was only planning on buying one, but I figured since I was going to see Joe I'd get some flowers for his wife, even though I've never met her. I made my way to the self-check out line, making my trip so much quicker. Within 10 minutes, I parked in the cemetery's parking lot as Mason pulled up next to me.

"Mind helping me?" Mason asked as he got out of his car and pulled out an In-N-Out Burger bag.

"Sure." I put both bouquets in one hand and grabbed the bag with the other. I inhaled deeply, taking in a whiff of my favorite bacon burger and fries. "It smells so good," I sighed as my mouth watered.

Mason chuckled as he pulled out a cup holder with our milkshakes and another bag with his food. "I've been craving some fries and a milkshake all week." He closed the door with his hip.

I fake gasped and mocked, "Are you telling me you're pregnant?"

"No, dumbass!" Mason laughed at my joke. He looked down and nodded at the flowers in my hand. "You bought two?"

"Yeah. Every time Joe visited his wife, he'd bring her flowers. I figured now that I'm visiting him, I'd keep his tradition and bring some for his wife too," I said as we started walking towards the cemetery.

"That's sweet," Mason smiled before his tone changed. "Did Y/N ever see her mother before she left?"

I shook my head. "Not really. She rarely did. She always thought it was her fault her mother died, even though Joe and I told her it wasn't. Y/N had no control over it. Some women die while giving childbirth. Sadly her mother was one of them."

"Damn," Mason said sadly.

"No matter how many times I reassured her it wasn't her fault or how many times I've offered to go with her to see her mother, Y/N wouldn't go," I added.