Chapter 3 - Liam's POV

Author's Note: The reader's father's name is Joe.

Tonight's lacrosse game was an important one. It would determine if we made it into the playoffs or not. I was focused. I had my boys focused, but the second I heard Melissa McCall telling Scott Y/N was home, my focus flew out the window.

While the game was going on, I heard Scott and Kira discuss about taking the kids to her parents' house. Stiles dispatched Sheriff Parrish to cover for him as Lydia told the girls to grab their Barbie dolls and put them in their backpacks.

As they filed out of the stands, one by one, my heart sank lower into my stomach. I knew exactly where they were going and it was killing me that I couldn't go with them to see her.

It has been 18 years since Y/N said goodbye to me in Paris, also the day I was supposed to return home with her. Since then, I kept my end of the deal. I didn't call, text, Skype, or email her. I might have emailed her a couple of times but ended up putting it in my drafts instead of pushing the send button.

She picked Isaac. She loves Isaac. I respected her decision. After breaking her heart unintentionally, I wanted nothing more than for her to be happy, even if that meant with someone else. So I did what any honorable and respectable man would have done, I walked away and let her be. I didn't want to get in the way or cause any more trouble than I already did when I took my spontaneous trip to Paris to confess my undying love for her. She deserved everything, and it was something I couldn't give her, but I knew Isaac could.

But what do you do when the father of your ex-best friend and the love of your life passes away? Do you break your promise and stand by her during her loss? I had no idea, but every muscle in my body was telling me to break the promise and hug her, take away her pain, and just be there for her.

I was completely out of it during the game and I was so lucky to have my two co-captains leading the team. The boys knew about Joe's death. I had a very close relationship with him, and he came out and supported every one of my games since I first got hired as head coach after Coach Finstock retired. Joe loved the kids and cheered for each and every one of them, and the kids loved him too. They couldn't start a game without all of them running in a straight line by the bleachers as Joe stuck his hand out and high fived each player. A few of the kids always came back after they graduated, to watch a game or two, and they always sat with Joe. They would catch up and talk about the game. Joe was part of the team.

"Dad?" Mackenzie's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned around to see her sitting in the front seat with a worried facial expression. "Are you okay?"

"Umm, yeah. I think so. Why?"

"Because," Mackenzie's twin sister, Madison, said from the backseat. "We've been sitting in the driveway for the past 10 minutes."

"Shit," I mumbled under my breath. I closed my eyes. I really shouldn't have drove home with my mind running around with a million thoughts. I let out a deep sigh. "I'm sorry. My mind isn't here. I should've let one you drive. I don't know what I was thinking." I apologized.

"Dad, it's okay. We know you have a lot on your mind with Pappy gone." Mackenzie's hand rested on my forearm. "We're safe and we made it home. That's all that matters."

I let out another deep breath. "Just don't tell your mother about this when she calls you tonight."

"You're secret is safe with us," Madison said as she gave my shoulder a squeeze. "Are you coming inside?"

I shook my head. "I just need a few more minutes." I handed over my keys. "You girls go inside the house and order some take out."

The girls got out of the car and left me alone. I pulled out my phone and noticed the unknown number that kept calling me during the game. My eyes averted to the new voicemail alert and pressed play.