Chapter 14

"What do you want for dinner?" Liam asked as we walked through the back door that led to the laundry room and closed the door behind him.

I dropped my shoes by the door in the laundry room. "I'm not sure."

"Do you want to go out somewhere?" My heart leaped to my stomach at the thought of leaving and getting into a car. Liam sensed my sudden anxiety. "Or we can order in instead."

My muscles relaxed as he offered a much better option for dinner tonight. "Order in sounds good," I looked away from Liam. "What are you in the mood for?"

"Pizza sounds good right now," Liam opened the door that led to a hallway in the house. "Is that okay with you?"

"That's fine with me. I'm in the mood for peperoni," I stopped in front of the stairs. "I'm going to take a quick shower and wash off all the sand."

"While you do that, I'm going to the store around the corner to restock our fridge. Want anything in particular?" Liam asked.

"Chips, Oreos, Gatorade, and some beer," I immediately listed off the top of my head. "Let me get my purse and give you some cash."

"Don't worry about it. I got it. I'll be back in a few." Liam pulled out his phone and called for the pizza as he walked out of the house.

45 minutes later, the pizza guy rang the doorbell while Liam was in the shower. Liam had left money on the table by the front door, but I pulled out cash from my pocket. Liam had already paid for lunch and all our snacks for the house; I wasn't going to let him pay for dinner too.

After paying the pizza boy, I walked to the living room and placed the large pizza box on the coffee table. I walked back to the kitchen and grabbed one of the bags of chips Liam had bought, and two beers from the fridge. When I closed the door I noticed some pictures on the fridge. I remember when there was only one picture, which was still there where it's always been.

I put the items on the kitchen counter and pulled the picture off from the magnet. It was the weekend dad and I first brought Liam to the beach house. My dad snapped a picture of Liam and I doing cartwheels in the water. My thumb traced over my younger self. The tips of my long hair touched the water as I closed my eyes from the blinding sun, but had a huge smile on my face. Looking at the picture made me realize I wanted to be the girl who was so reckless, happy, and hadn't experienced any unbearable pain.

"Hey," Liam's voice startled me, making me jump. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he chuckled. "What are you doing?"

I showed him the picture of us cartwheeling at the beach. "Just taking a trip down memory lane."

Liam's face lit up as he grabbed the photo from my hand. "This was a good weekend."

"Yeah, it was," I grabbed the stuff and motioned Liam to the living room. "Pizza's here already."

Liam put the picture back and quickly grabbed the beers from my hands before following me back to the living room. I sat on the floor in front of the coffee table, Liam sitting right next to me. I flipped the pizza box lid open and opened the bag of chips. Liam popped the bottle cap from one of the cold beers before handing me one.

"Want to watch some TV?" Liam asked as he reached for the remote on the sofa.

"If you don't mind, can we talk instead?" I grabbed a slice from the box. "I mean we do need to talk about this house."

"Of course," Liam grabbed a Doritos chip. "Well, what do you want to do with the house? Do you want to sell it or keep it?"

I swiped the cheese off my chin with my napkin. "Well, what do you want?"