Chapter 12

Chubbie's was not what I had expected. It's a restaurant towards the end of the boardwalk on the beach. The seafood restaurant had small round tables as outdoor string lights hung across the restaurant from the tall, thick wooden beams. The restaurant had clear tarps instead of having an actual ceiling, giving the people a chance to look up at the clear blue sky, or see the stars shine at night. At the far end of the restaurant, was a huge tiki hut that covered the entire bar underneath, allowing customers to enjoy a drink while looking out at the ocean.

The hostess sat us at a table closest to the edge of the boardwalk on the side, where I can look over the small wooden fence and see the ocean underneath the boardwalk. There was something comforting about it that made me want to sit on the floor and let my feet hang, letting the breeze tickle my feet and making me feel like a kid again.

"Are you guys ready to order?" The waitress asked after she put down our drinks.

Liam looked at me, asking if I was ready. I nodded my head and pointed at what I wanted on the menu to the waitress. "I would like the fried shrimp platter with a baked potato."

"Everything on the potato?" The waitress asked as her hand moved quickly across her little notebook with a pen, her eyes never once leaving the notebook.

"Just butter and extra cheese," Liam answered for me with a small smile. I wasn't surprised he still remembered because I still remembered what he liked on his food as well. There are just some things you don't forget, especially the little things.

"What he said," I told the waitress with a soft smile.

"And for you, sir?" She asked, her smile growing bigger the second her eyes landed on Liam.

Liam didn't even notice; he was too focused on the menu. "I'll have the fish and chips." He folded the menu and gave it back to her, without giving her so much as a second glance.

"Will that be all?" She batted her eyes at Liam after she finished writing down his order on her notepad.

"Should we have oysters as an appetizer?" He asked me.

I made a sour face, remembering the first time I tried oysters at P's Pub and immediately spitting it back out. I have no idea how in the world some people like to eat those slimy sluggers.

"I'll take that as a no," Liam chuckled. "How about a lobster pizza?"

"Better," I looked over at the waitress, who still kept her eyes on Liam.

"If you need anything else, let me know," she said directly to Liam as she shoved the notebook and pen in the pouch of her apron.

"Thanks," Liam briefly gave her a small smile before looking back at me as the waitress' smile faltered a little before she made her way back to the kitchen.

"Ya know, she kept looking at you," I pointed out. Liam looked absolutely clueless. "The waitress." I chuckled lightly. "She was practically gawking and batting her eyelashes at you."

"I didn't even notice." Liam began to fiddle with his fingers, a nervous tactic of his I haven't forgotten either.

"Why? You got a girlfriend or wife?" I asked, making him nearly choke on his Coke.

Liam shook his head. "No. It's been a while since I've been with someone."

My right eyebrow arched up. "Seriously?" Liam nodded. "Why...?" I cleared my throat. "If you don't mind me asking."

"Years after the girls were born, I started dating again, but none of them seem to click." Liam finally looked up from his fingers and at me. "I guess I just haven't found the right girl."