Chapter 13

Before climbing down the steps that led to the beach, I leaned against the rail of the pier and took off my shoes. I pulled off my socks and rolled up my jeans to my knees. The sand was just right, it wasn't hot enough to burn the bottom of the feet, nor was it cold to shoot a shiver up your spine. It was perfect to take a walk on the beach, which is exactly what I did with my shoes in one hand and Liam by my side.

Once again, an awkward silence was between us as we walked. I didn't like it. It was uncomfortable and I missed how easy and natural it was between us. Maybe I was an idiot for thinking we could be friends again when clearly nothing seems to be working. I've done nothing but withhold the truth from Liam, which wasn't fair considering he wasn't holding back on his truths. Whoever said friendships could be picked up right where they left off was wrong, because this was far from being easy. If anything our 'friendship' seemed to be vanishing quick, like sand slipping through your fingers.

"I'm sorry," Liam blurted out, breaking the tension between us.

His words paralyzed me, making me stop in my tracks and face him. "What for?" I asked narrowing my eyes, completely confused.

"Back there at the restaurant," Liam stopped, but didn't look at me. Instead, his apologetic eyes looked out to the beach, watching guys surf. "I shouldn't have asked what happened to you. You clearly don't want to talk about it."

"What gave it away?" I asked shoving my free hand into my jean pocket.

"You kept changing the subject back to me."

"Was it that obvious?" I tried to smile, but failed miserably.

"Ha, yeah, it was, but look," he finally turned around and looked me straight in the eyes. "If you don't want to talk about it, that's fine. I won't ask questions, nor will I push you to talk, but that won't stop me from wanting to know." Liam sighed in defeat.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk to me, but clearly you need to talk to someone about whatever it is that's bothering you, because I can see it in your eyes that it's more than just about your dad." His eyes scanned mine, trying to find some answers. "Whatever it is, whatever is killing you inside, whatever it is that's bringing you this unbearable pain, you need to talk to someone about it. If you want to talk to me about it, great! I'm here to listen to you whenever you're ready. But if not, then find someone you can talk to, like Jackson, Parker, or anyone from the pack... just talk to someone." He begged.

Warm tears filled my eyes as I bored into Liam's concerned baby blue eyes.

"I'm sorry," Liam's hand reached out for my arm. "I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry." He repeated as he rubbed small circles on my forearm.

I looked away from him. "I know you didn't mean to, but I couldn't help myself..." I trailed. I walked towards a spot where no one was around and sat down. Liam sat down next to me, his eyes never leaving my face as he watched me closely.

I fiddled with my fingers and looked straight ahead, focusing on the ocean in front of me. "Everyone knows the hell I went through while I was in Paris. Jackson, Parker, Scott, Stiles, Lydia, Kira, and yet somehow it's not easy for me to pick one of them and just talk it out with them."

From the corner of my eye, I saw Liam's head snap in my direction. "Not even Jackson?" He asked surprised.

I shook my head and looked at Liam. "Yet, here you are, after 18 years of being apart and not having the slightest clue about what happened to me, you can instantly tell something's wrong."

"Of course I can tell," Liam said sadly, almost hurt. He took a deep breath before speaking. "At first, I thought it was about Joe's death, and I know things don't get easier just days after losing someone, but it just seems like there's more to it than just your father's death. I know that sounds terrible, but I don't know. It seems like your dad's death added more pain and sorrow to whatever you were already feeling and dealing with."