Chapter 2

After a few minutes of hugging and damping Melissa's shirt with my tears, I pulled her down to sit next to me on the couch. She knew what I wanted. She grabbed my hand in both of hers. "He was in no pain at all."

I nodded. Jackson came after putting my suitcases in my room and sat next to me, instantly wrapping his arm around me. Parker sat on the floor and by my feet. His arm rested on my lap, his hand holding on to my other hand.

"Dr. Geyer said it was OSA, Obstructive Sleep Apnea. He just stopped breathing during the night." Melissa continued.

"How long-"

"It was about 8:30. He never came over for breakfast like he said he would. So I got my spare key and walked over. I noticed the house was dark. When I checked in his bedroom, I noticed he wasn't breathing. I called 911 and then called you." Melissa squeezed my hand. "According to the autopsy, he was dead for about 4 hours before I found him."

It hasn't even been 12 hours and my mind was reeling with so many emotions. It all felt to familiar, dealing with the loss of a loved one, and it was bringing back old feelings and memories from years ago. It's a terrible feeling of not being there for your loved one or not being able to do something that could have possibly prevented their death.

"There's one more thing." Melissa's voice changed and caught my full attention. "Your dad's lawyer contacted me because he couldn't get a hold of you," I swallowed hard, knowing what's coming next. "He needs you to meet him in his office tomorrow morning at 9. He wants to go over your dad's will with you."

"I- umm-," I closed my eyes as I took a deep breath. I know I'm not ready for this and I'm going to need all the support I can when I hear what my dad wants and what he left behind. I exhaled as I opened my eyes. "Can Jackson and Parker come with me?"

"Of course," Melissa and Parker said at the same time.

I looked at Jackson. "I'm going with you but there's one small problem. Isabelle's plane should get here at 9:30, so-" Jackson's eyes flickered towards Parker.

Parker picked up on where Jackson was going with his conversation. "Don't worry about it. I'll pick her up and you go with Y/N."

"Are you sure?" Jackson asked Parker as I asked Jackson the same question at the same time.

"Yes," Jackson and Parker said unison.

Melissa smiled. "Does this..." She pointed at the three of us with her finger, "Happen often? Speaking at the same time?"

"More than you think," the corner of Jackson's lip lifted into a small smile. He turned to face me. "Isabelle would want me to go with you."

"I know," I whispered and leaned in for a hug. Jackson immediately returned the hug as Melissa's hand rubbed against my back and Parker's hand patted my knee, all trying to comfort my loss.

My head lifted from Jackson's chest when the sounds of cars pulling into the driveway interrupted the comforting silence. I could hear Scott and Stiles talking to the kids about what to say to me, while Lydia just hurried everyone towards the door. I looked back at Melissa, wondering how they knew I was already home.

"I hope you don't mind, but they wanted me to let them know when you got home. They wanted to see you." She stood up from the sofa and walked towards the door.

"That's fine," I pulled away from Jackson. "I need all the family I have left right now."

Melissa opened the front door, letting Lydia, Stiles, and Scott rushed into the house. Scott was without Kira and his kids. Eight-year-old Allie stood by her father's side as she held on to Stiles' hand. Little six-year-old Claudia clung on to Lydia asleep. Lydia's arms were just under Claudia's butt as her little legs were wrapped around Lydia's waist. Her head rested on top of Lydia's shoulder as her arms were loosely wrapped around Lydia's neck. Lydia effortlessly handed Claudia to Stiles, who let out a little grunt at the sudden weight being thrown at him unexpectedly.

Everyone but Stiles, who had his deputy uniform on, was wearing Beacon Hills Lacrosse shirts. As the little girls also had matching maroon and white ribbons tying their ponytail. I furrowed my eyebrows together. I couldn't recall knowing anyone who played high school lacrosse. My mind began to run with the possibilities of who we might know for the pack to still be supporting the Cyclones. My mind came up blank.

"Auntie Y/N!" Allie ran towards me, her long strawberry blonde curls bounced with each step. I opened my arms as she jumped towards me and caught her, embracing her into a tight hug. "I'm sorry about your daddy," she whispered against my ear. She was just 8 years old, too young to understand what death meant, but knowing Stiles and Lydia, they explained it as best as they could for her to understand the concept.

I closed my eyes, trying to fight back the tears I know were bound to come again, and squeezed her tighter. "Thank you, baby girl."

Lydia came towards me as I put Allie down. She surprised me as her arms pulled me into a tight hug, knocking the wind out of me. Lydia sniffled, "I'm so sorry." Her hand ran up and down my back.

Stiles came and hugged me with one arm, the another still holding a sleeping Claudia. Allie soon came and wrapped her arms around my legs. I wasn't used to this. Yes, I had family members, but I never had a family of my own to wrap them all in one big family group hug. I no longer had a husband and I never had any kids, and suddenly the loss of not having a family added to the grief of my father, who never had the chance to be a grandfather.

A soft sob escaped from the back of my throat as I held on to the Stilinski family.

After letting go, Scott came to hug me next. "You're dad was a good man."

"Thanks, Scott," I squeezed him tighter and clung on to him a little bit longer. Scott let go but wrapped his arm around me as he walked us towards the sofa.

"Where's Kira?" I asked.

"She went to drop the kids off with her parents just incase you might need us tonight."

"Scott, you know I love your little pups. You should have brought them." I patted his knee. "You didn't have to do that."

"But we wanted to," Scott's hand reached for mine. "We're here for you." He squeezed my hand.

I looked around the living room. Jackson was talking to Lydia and Stiles as Parker played with Allie on the floor with her Barbie dolls. Melissa was on the rocking chair, rocking Claudia back and forth. I let out a deep sigh as I realized, despite the amount of people I've lost, I was blessed to still have my friends and their families in my life. Almost everyone I needed was here tonight. Almost.