Chapter 9

Author's Note: Can y'all pretend that's not Hayden in the GIF and it's you instead, cause that gif fits perfectly with this chapter, ha.

The final buzzer rang, signaling the end of the game as the alumni team huddled together, cheering their victory against the current class team. The crowd made their way out to the parking lot or on the field to meet some of the players. Jackson quickly rushed over to Isabella and me with a huge smirk on his face as he hugged his wife first.

"Baby, you did so good," her French accent was strong. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, baby," Jackson leaned in to kiss Isabella.

My eyes drifted to his jersey number. It wasn't his. It was Isaac's. I noticed it as soon as I saw him on the field. A small part of me knew why he had Isaac's number, but it was still so surreal to see that number, a number I hadn't seen in years.

"I thought since he couldn't be here, this would be a good way to have a small part of him with us tonight," Jackson said, almost as if he read my mind. I looked up and noticed how much Jackson missed Isaac too.

I traced the number with my fingers before grabbing on to the jersey and getting a better look at it. I don't know why I kept staring at it. I guess a small part of me was hoping he magically appeared out of the jersey, just like when a magician pulls a rabbit out of his top hat. Except, I knew this wouldn't happen. Magic didn't exist in our world.

I pulled Jackson into a tight hug. "Thank you," I whispered. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

Jackson held on tight to me as Isabella wrapped her arms around me and hugged me from behind. I chuckled at her kind gesture. "You two are the best."

"We love you too," Isabella squeezed me tighter before she pulled away.

I pulled away from Jackson as Scott, Stiles, and Corey joined us with their wives, husband, and kids. We all chatted, exchanged congratulations, hugs, and kisses. I turned around and scanned the crowd, trying to find the man responsible for tonight.

"You did great, son," Mr. Geyer said. I turned to my left to see Liam surrounded by his family almost across the field.

"Excuse me guys," I walked away from the pack and made my way towards Liam and his family.

His mother was the first person to see me. "Y/N!" She shouted, causing everyone to turn their heads towards me. "What did you think of the game?"

I looked at Liam, who looked so nervous about what I'm about to say. "Liam... This," I gestured at the crowd and the field with my index finger, "Is amazing. I can't... I mean..." Everyone's smiles grew bigger as I was literally lost for words.

"Thank you, Liam." I said sincerely.

"You're welcome," he smiled back.

"I'm sorry kids, but honey, we need to get going if I'm going to drop you off before my night shift," Mr. Geyer said as he looked at his watch.

"Honey, great job tonight," Mrs. Geyer hugged Liam quickly before hugging the girls.

"We'll call you for dinner this week, sweetheart." Mrs. Geyer hugged me before she left with her husband to their car in the parking lot.

I watched them leave together, hand in hand. It was sweet. It was rare to see a couple with that many years of marriage under their belts and still be happily in love as the first day they met.

"Hey, Mack," Madison's voice pulled me from my thoughts as she wrapped her arm around her twin sister, "let's go meet up with our friends."

"But I wanna-"