Chapter 5

Mr. Walker closed the door behind as we all filed into his office. "Please take a seat."

In front of Mr. Walker's desk were two chairs. They were kind of fancy, which wasn't surprising as most lawyers' offices are elegant. The chairs were separated from each other from a good distance. With the space in between the two chairs, were two foldout chairs, which were behind the two front chairs. Mr. Walker made it accessible for all of us to see him instead of all four of us wedged together next to one another.

I looked at Liam, unsure how were supposed to be seated as Mr. Walker walked behind his desk and sat in his big desk chair.

"Girls, why don't you sit in the back?" Liam questioned.

They nodded and sat down. I walked over to the chair that was closest to Mr. Walker, which also happened to be the farthest from Liam's seat. Mr. Walker opened the thick folder he had on top of his desk. His hand reached in for the pocket outside his jacket and then moved to the inside pocket. Suddenly, his hands began searching all of his pockets, looking for something.

Liam cleared his head. "They're on your head." He pointed at the glasses, which were resting at the crown of his head.

Mr. Walker chuckled. "When you get close to my age, you start to forget where you misplace things."

Liam and the girls found it funny. I just smiled. On any other given day, I would have laughed. Except today, right now, my heart was racing, my palms were sweating, and suddenly I felt like I was wearing too many clothes or the AC wasn't on. I was too nervous and scared to find out what dad left behind.

"Okay, first order of business," Mr. Walker slid his glasses on and began skimming the file. "The cars. He left the silver 1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 and the blue 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 to Madison and Mackenzie. It states that it only seems right for the both of you to have it as you two were the only ones that appreciated the cars, took care of them, and often asked for joy rides with him on the weekends just to spend some time together. However, he didn't say exactly which one of you got which car because he believed you two would already know which car you would get."

I turned around and saw smiles, very similar to Liam's smile, wide and beaming with the excitement of being an owner of a sports car.

"I'll be getting the Skyline," Madison shared.

"And I'll be getting the Mustang," Mackenzie followed.

Dad always appreciated cars. He loved them and often wanted to buy as many as he could. He had a new car every single year, but he never traded or sold his two babies, the Skyline or Mustang. He'd show them off at Car Shows and always got offers, but Dad didn't want to sell them. I never understood why he loved those two cars in particular.

"Your dad," Mr. Walker pulled me out of my thoughts, "was a very smart man when it came to money."

I smiled half-heartedly, remembering how good he was at his job. "He was a great business man."

"And a great investor," Mr. Walker added, surprising me. I had no idea dad had invested some of his money. "Your dad created four separate bank accounts with his bank, one for each of you. You may wish to keep your money in that bank account or transfer the money to your bank. However, like I explained to Joe, I recommend you leave your money with his bank because their interest rate is incredible."

"Liam," Mr. Waked grabbed a piece of paper from the file and handed it to him. "Joe started a bank account for the girls the day they were born and put money in their accounts as they grew up, earning more than he started with through the bank's interest rate. You are the only one who has access to their account as it's enough to pay their entire college tuition."