Chapter 38

Chapter 38

~ Outside The Shrieking Shack ~

The Whomping Willow was more vicious than normally; it's branches were coming down like thunder against the sleety grass. Not a cloud, bird or soul was in sight. Two figures approached the tremendous trunk and after dangerously inserting their hands between the bark, the tree became paralysed and they made their way way up to the Shrieking Shack but they took the wrong turning for the Shack and next thing Leo and Lillian knew they were 20 yards away from the Shack, and were standing watching Draco jump down from an ancient stone.

“What've you brought her here for? I've had enough of those stupid mudbloods! Why won't she take the God damn hint, eh?”

“She came here so you could apologise to her!” Suddenly Leo was familiarised with an unknown feeling; a hot wave of fury flushed his face a deep carmine shade.

Lillian was even more outraged than him, but it wasn't just because of Freaky Fraco. It was also because of Leo. He had... tricked her? She had reminded him continuously about the Grey Lady's warning. Of all nights they should've avoided being near the Shrieking Shack to the best of their abilities.

“Me? Apologise to her? What for? She deserved to know what you truly thought of her and don't kid yourself on!” Draco marched forward. Crab and Goyle sniggered behind him. “I'll never apologise to her!” he spat, his cold eyes glaring directly into Lillian's.

Leo stepped forward. “I'll give you to the count of five to say sorry or I swear to God I'll stick my foot so far up your arse it'll make your head spin!”

Malfoy gave a long, fake sigh then his face became expressionless and leisurely he nodded to Crab who was next to him, then Goyle who was a little behind leaning against the wired fence before looking back towards Leo.

“One... two... three! – four!” But before Leo could reach five appeared two other students. Ron and Hermione.

“Will you please drop the whole Crookshanks killing your rat, Ron? Why won't you believe me when I tell you that your stupid pet has most probably run away or something!”

“No! Scabbers has not run away. It's that bleedin' cat of yours, it's swallowed him whole in one single gulp! I've seen the way he eyes Scabbers up like the prize turkey... It's a monster that cat!” They were about to walk towards the bunch of trees in the distance – getting ready to go back to Hogsmeade – when suddenly they heard Draco shout at them.

“Ooh, look who it isn't!” Malfoy's expressionless face shaped into a malevolent smile. “How ever did you both manage to get here?” he glared at Ron. “Huh, Weasley? Did you find the concealed passageway too?”

Back off, Malfoy!” cut in Hermione. “You sure you're OK out in this snow? Will I fetch your father for you, for you're looking awfully pale right now...”

“How fascinating! A mudblood answering someone else's questions, very original and daring! Do you always get girls to fight your battles, Weasley?”

Leo had stepped forward, interrupting. “I will not repeat myself. Say sorry to Lilly!”

“Do you always get your father to fight your battles for you, Malfoy?” barked Ron.

Malfoy's face became even more opaline; Leo stood awkwardly like a statue in the middle of the grimacing teenagers.

Lillian stumbled in the snow next to Leo, and stood in the middle of Draco and the Gryffindor's view.

“Let's just go!” she whispered into Leo's ear. It was getting dark. If they didn't head back now then they'd either be caught by Filch or a Dementor... “His sorry will mean nothing to me anyway.”

“That's right! Go run away with your precious mudblood! You're a traitor, and you too, Leo, are a contradiction to yourself! Wait until father hears about this!

“My point proven!” laughed Hermione, pointing at Malfoy. Malfoy's face suddenly became red and he clenched his white fists down by his side.

“Crab! Goyle!” he hissed, enraged.

They made their way forwards towards the slope which Ron and Hermione were standing on. But before they could attack them out from nowhere came flying snowballs. Malfoy and his cronies ducked down but they foiled and were struck by balls of rounded ice. Lillian tugged Leo away, laughing and they turned around and watched Draco and his so called friends back off into the distance, crying like little scolded children.

One inexplicable snow ball caught Crab right in the face and he fell backwards and landed on the opposite side of the fence – closer to the Shrieking Shack.

Terrified, he pounced up from the snow and climbed over the fence then followed his friends in the opposite direction.

Lillian looked kindly into Hermione's eyes, but the moment was ruined when Ron shouted, “And you get out here too or else!”

“Ron!” groaned Hermione, pushing him. Ron lost his balance on the thick snow and skidded down the slope. Someone from behind burst out laughing then, as if removing an invisible cloak from himself, appeared Harry; face bright red with laughter.

“I knew it was you all along!” Hermione said, turning to face him. A couple of seconds later they turned around and continued their journey back to Hogsmeade. Soon they would go home, bet Lillian, for Hermione was not one who took kindly to detentions.

“Well...” sighed Leo. “That was a little... unexpected?”

“I know!” Lillian giggled. “Let's go home now.” She pulled her blue hat tighter around her head, flicked her long, brown hair behind her shoulders and took Leo's hand. They made their way through the low, earthly passageway before entering the dark tunnel. Once they had reached the end it was now completely dark and the white sky was no longer visible. They stood near the Whomping Willow saying their goodbyes when all of a sudden something barked in the shadows.

“Lilly watch out!” Leo shouted, pointing behind her, but she didn't have time to look behind her for suddenly something came striding towards her stomach and it took her breath away. She was lifted about five feet into the air before getting dropped against the snow covered grass. They couldn't see much, but they knew that it was the tree ambushing them.

“But – but we paralysed it!” Leo exclaimed, ducking from a knuckled branch which just about took his head clean off from his shoulders.

Lillian panted, ducking again and hid against the trunk of the tree which led to the passageway. Leo was on the opposite side of the tree, trying to help her in some miraculous way. Then, from behind a white shrubbery, Lillian saw what Leo had pointed out earlier.

 A gigantic black dog leapt out from amid the shadows and manoeuvred below and through the branches until it pushed its massive hind legs into the dirt and sprung on top of Lillian. That was the last thing Lillian could remember before she could no longer see: an enormous black dog with yellow eyes springing towards her.