Chapter 33

~ The Hospital Wing ~

Did it work? Was Lillian's Doe a patronus? Lillian couldn't really verify that for herself. For one moment she was in her Doe form then the next she was lying on a hospital bed. She opened up her eyes and saw Madam Pomfrey make her way towards her.

“Here you go, pet. Drink this up, eh?” Madam Pomfrey held a small orange glass to Lillian's lips. Lillian drank it, reluctantly, then laid down back against the hospital bed. The wing was full – apparently there had been more than three attacks on students from Dementors.

“Are you absurd! Trying to kill me are you? Eugh! What is it that, Pumkin Juice? Get it away now! I wish to speak with my father!”

Lillian turned around and stared at Draco who was on the bed across from her. Lillian smiled then closed her eyes. When she next opened them, she had a visitor.

“Sev...?”

He never replied, just nodded his head. Nervelessly he folded his legs over each other, then got his wand out. A magical wet cloth appeared in front of Lillian and began swiping her forehead, clearing away the blood which was there.

“What happened?”

“I was hoping you would clarify that for yourself, seeing as you were there.” His cool sarcasm was as always. He didn't want Lillian to think he was going too soft on her, not matter how scared he was when he was told of her attack.

She shook her head. “Everything's so blurry. I just remember the tunnel.”

“The tunnel? As in the forbidden tunnel below the school grounds which leads to Hogsmeade, that tunnel?”

Hesitatingly she nodded. “Where's Leo? Arostia? The others?”

“As you can see, Draco is over in the corner still whimpering about his broken arm. It appears that he stumbled inside the tunnel. Arostia, from what I gather, is perfectly fine, along with Leo. Unfortunately not the same can be said for Mr. Knell...” Snape's face became even more bloodless and he looked away from her for a split second. Madam Pomfrey came over now, face red with stress, and ushered Lillian to drink another cup of Pumpkin Juice. Lillian thanked her, then gave the glass back. Madam Pomfrey smiled at her kindly, nodded formally at Snape – who didn't even acknowledge her that much – before rushing over to her other sick patients.

“That Markus guy? What happened to him? I remember he was at the front of the line...”

“Severus, if you would please. I wish to speak with Lillian for a moment. I've spoken with the rest of the children, which leaves only Lily.”

Severus stood up straight away and without a backwards glance he departed from the hospital wing. Dumbledore sat down on Snape's seat. Lillian tried to sit up, but she couldn't.

“No, no! You lie down Miss Snape, for you need your strength more than I do. You'll begin to miss your strength – your knees too – when you become as old as me. Seems like yesterday I was on my broom racing my little brother, Aberforth...” Dumbledore sighed, before getting straight to the point. He looked at Lillian's oracular face – her childish look – then sighed again. “I was made aware of the Dementor attack immediately. Dementors are repellent creatures, who listen to only those who feed them peoples souls in the palm of their hands. When I made it clear that the Dementors were forbidden to feast upon my students, they rampaged and hunted for targets. Unfortunately they were successful and came across you and your friends inside the forbidden tunnel. I'm not too sure of how most of you managed to make it alive past them, but for whatever reason, I am glad. If only I had reached you all in time...”

“Most of us?” Lillian was puzzled. “Who didn't make it?”

Dumbledore became warm and quiet towards Lillian, trying to break it more gentle to her. After he explained that Markus Knell did not survive the umpteen kisses from the Dementors, he got up from the chair.

Before beckoning away, he whispered to Lillian: “The funeral will be held tomorrow evening. Your bravely will not go by unnoticed, but due to recent circumstances I fear that I might have to close the school for the rest of the term.”

In shock, Lillian closed her eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep. Not only was Sirius Black still on the loose, but a student of Hogwarts had been killed, and it could not be undone. Apparently magic couldn't undo everything; especially not death. Lillian learned an important lesson that day: once someone was gone, they were gone for good.