Chapter 24

The only predictable thing about life, is its unpredictability.

I didn't waste a second more watching those two lock lips. Quickly pivoting on my heel I ran straight for my borrowed bike. The sounds of the street, people, and even footsteps disappeared as Julia's piercing howl shook through my body. I could feel every ounce of her pain through the sound. However I felt my own pain was even greater. I could feel my heart literally breaking into a million pieces, as cliché as that sounds.

I used to scoff at books and movies when the girl would run away crying. It felt way too dramatic and I had no idea how one guy was able to completely break her heart. Now I realize how realistic those movies and books truly were. The worst part about it is I actually dared to think I was wrong. I dared to love and put my life into one guy thinking he would be mine forever. Look where that got me now.

Inside of me I felt a terrible burning sensation and I knew exactly what it was. It could only be the internal pain of your mate kissing someone else. The burn worked its way through my body touching every inch of it. I get it I thought bitterly the jerk cheated on me. How many more times do I need to be reminded about that?

I pulled the helmet over my head and drove. The bike sped faster than the speed limit allowed but it didn't matter. Even if I hit a tree it wouldn't matter. Julia's painful howling kept running through my ears like a ton of bricks. I felt hot angry tears sting my eyes as the sound grew louder. The image of Declan and Jenna kept invading my mind and the more I tried to get rid of it, the more it wanted to stay. It was as if my mind wanted to burn the picture into memory.

And after that, everything came into memory. His laugh, his smile, his eyes, his voice. God he's killing me.

He didn't have to kill me this way. He could've paraded around with that sexy grin of his and those beautiful green eyes twinkling like they normally do and I would be crushed knowing he would never be mine. But of course he had to kill me the normal way, by breaking my heart.

I didn't know how I was able to actually drive home without crashing but somehow I did and I ended up wiping my eyes while hastily parking the motorcycle in the garage. Julia's howls died down into whimpers. I focused away from the sound and heard the noise of an engine dying instead. Footsteps ran up the driveway and someone began to yell my name "Lilly. LILLY!"

My eyes widened at the familiarity of the voice. By now I was a sobbing mess and the voice I was hearing belonged to the last person I wanted to see right now. Through the blur of tears I glared at him and ran "Get away from you bastard."

My legs carried me inside and straight into the hall but I guess they just weren't fast enough. Declan grabbed me before I had the chance to run any farther.

"You're not running until you hear what I have to say."

I shook my head "Hell no! Why should I listen to anything you have to say?"

"Lilly-"

"Shut up," I snapped "Was this part of your plan? Am I just your charity case? So if you wanted to go cheat on me with someone else I wouldn't mind because I was lucky the idiot alpha wanted me."

"No that's not true."

I scoffed "Oh really? Then why don't I believe you."

"C'mon," he argued "what reason would I have to cheat on you? I haven't even looked at a girl since I met you, until today!"

"Oh gee don't I feel special," I spat sarcastically "What was that then? Mouth to mouth resuscitation?"

"No. I swear it's all out of context. I wouldn't do that to my mate. I love you."