Chapter 5

Lilly

You know that moment when the girl and the guy look into each other's eyes and realize they are soul mates? They fall in love, get married, have a few kids, and live happily ever after with a family and a dog. Well.........this was not one of those moments.

All that love I felt flooded through my body for a few seconds until the word mate slipped out of my mouth. That's when I finally regained control of myself and realized that my worst nightmare just came true. I found my mate. I found my mate!!!!

The words kept sounding more horrible by the minute. I tried to look for other thoughts to exemplify my horror but everything in my mind became garbled and messed up. Nobody spoke or even dared to breathe. They all stared at me, Declan, and Angela like we were part of some clichéd love triangle.

Julia was no help at all to make the situation easier. She kept bouncing around inside me like a little girl on a sugar rush muttering I knew it I knew I knew it!!! Declan's face fell from happiness to rejection in a flash. I must've had a horrible look on my face that gave away my fear and disappointment.

The crowd began to stir again behind me. They must've gotten tired with the heavy silence that kept the three of us mute. Finally a new thought reached my head, Run. And so, without considering the facts that I was horribly outnumbered, or crowded, or held the worst track record the world has ever known, I whipped my head around and ran.

" Stop her!" a voice from the crowd shouted. Hands reached out to grab me but (thankfully) my small and petite body weaved in and out of them. My eyes locked on a very narrow opening by the gate. It would be a miracle if I made it but that didn't stop me from trying. A rock about the size of a car engine stuck out of the ground. The pack gained on me, some of the men turned into wolves in attempt to conceal the alpha's mate.

I swerved to the other direction and pushed my entire weight to the balls of my feet. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. I slipped my body into a crouch for one second before realeasing the pressure on my toes and springing up onto the large rock. In one swift second, my feet brushed on the rock just enough to give me a boost and I went sailing through the air.

I waited for the pain of the spiky points on the fence but it never came. When I opened my eyes again a quick scream escaped my throat as my body hurtled to uninviting ground. There was a dull throb in my shoulder but when I turned around I could see people (some in their wolf form) trying to get through the iron fence of the backyard.

I allowed myself a moment of relief before coming back to the situation. As if acting on impulse, my eyes dragged towards Declan and locked his gaze again. Their was cold hard anger trapped in his eyes. It made my heart feel like someone was preforming acupuncture on it. Although I never owed this man anything, my lips willed bubbles of air to form two words " I'm sorry." Then I turned and ran away into the trees hoping that no one could see my falling tears.

GET BACK THERE!!! YOU'RE RUNNING FROM OUR MATE!!!!

I cringed from her screaming and continued to run how did you expect me to react. You know I don't want a mate!

Exactly! That's why I didn't say anything when we smelled him!

I froze WHAT!!! You knew?! I thought I could trust you! You knew I was smelling him out?

Yes she huffed angrily I'm surprised you didn't. Do you really not pay any attention to the tribe's lessons.