Chapter 3

The smell of freshly made pancakes wafted into the balcony and woke me up from a rough night's sleep. I didn't heed Angela's warning and accidently dozed off counting the constellations.

I wish I listened to her, she was right about what the balcony would do to my back.

My mouth widened into a large yawn as I slowly stretched out my stiff joints. I used one of my hands to press circles into the back of my shoulder blades. The knot started to ease out as my fingers massaged the area and released some of the tension.

I sighed, there would be no help for any of the other areas. My poor back had to remain sore.

There was a lot of commotion downstairs and I followed the sound and mouthwatering smell of pancakes to see what it was.

" Miss White we have to get your gown ready." screamed a middle aged women who seriously needed to be introduced to a weight watchers program.

" oh and the preparations for the feast!" shouted a maid

" what we need is shoes! She can't wear those ghastly things!" another woman said while pointing at a beautiful pair of shoes.

Finally a familiar voice cut through "Excuse me! Can't you all just let me eat in peace?!" I saw a blonde head poking out from behind the many maids in cheesy black and white uniforms. They all fell silent except the really big one who was now glaring "Miss White may I remind you that this is by far the most-"

"I understand!" the girl snapped "but I'd really like to eat my food so I don't starve to death. Find some other time to bug me Anna." The woman named Anna continued to glare at her but turned to leave and motioned for the others to follow. I caught something that sounded like "Rotten kids." as she pushed past me and burst into the living room.

Angela sat in a stool with a plate of pancakes on her lap. Her mouth twisted into a sneer as her eyes scanned the room for more pestering maids. Finally they rested on me and eased up. Her twitchy sneer turned into a smile. "Morning." I sang while grabbing a plate and flipping some pancakes onto it. "Morning." she mimicked cheerfully back and continued to devour her food.

"What was all that commotion about?" I asked while cutting two squares of butter and dropping them on top of my pancake. I heard her groan as her sneer snapped back into place "Oh that. It was just the household maids obsessing over my wedding/ coronation day."

"Wait, your wedding and the ceremony aren't two different things?" I asked while tilting the maple syrup bottle. Sweet gooey syrup made its heavenly way to the surface of my pancake. Angela looked at me like I was insane " No. they're both the same day. Why do you think I was freaking out so much? I mean........its in three days."

I unfortunately chose the wrong time to take a bite and had to spend a minute trying to get the food out of my windpipe. Finally, when I stopped choking my head turned to match her alarmed expression " What do you mean three days?"

She sighed impatiently " I mean three, tres, trois, the number that comes after 2 and before 4."

I set my forked down and gazed at the wall. Three days, she was going to get married and become a Luna in three short days. "What do they think they're doing? You're not even of age!" I shouted.

 "Wrong," she muttered glumly "My birthday is on the coronation day."

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion "You have the same birthday as Declan?"

"Unfortunately," she said with a sigh "all those years of sharing birthdays together and now we get to share a pack as well."

My head was spinning slightly as I took in everything. How was it fair that an eighteen year old girl who didn't even want to get married is forced into a marriage with a man she doesn't even have feelings for? And in only three days! "This is.....this is.....I can't even find a word to describe how stupid this is."