Chapter 29

In moments like this, I feel as if my life is like a piece of gum. At first it was all sugary and delicious with its fruity flavors bursting at the tip of your tongue but then it got chewed and chewed and chewed. Now it tastes like grit and cardboard but people just go on chewing it without a care in the world.

At this point, it was ridiculous how close that comparison came to my life. And that was one of the contributing factors to my rage a minute later.

For a moment I was in Declan's arms and in another I had burst out and found myself throwing death glares at Alpha John as hot tears went on pouring from my eyes. My gaze faltered back and forth between my mother, Alpha John, and Declan until it fixated on the alpha and refused to move. My voice came in spurts "I--you---you did---he stayed away from me because you told him to!"

Alpha John winced at my shrill tone "I can understand why you're angry Lilly but the only thing you've done today is shout at everyone. It's obvious that your anger is justifiable but you have to be tired of it by now, right? Aren't you worn out from yelling?

I was trying to unclench my fingers "I've been holding this in for about a month now. I want to be angry. I want to yell."

"But that's not going to accomplish anything," he retaliated "Just.....give me some time to tell you from the beginning. You asked for answers right?

I wanted to shout. I wanted to grit my teeth and throw out a number of vicious sentences in his direction but I couldn't bring myself to do it. He was right, all I'd been doing so far is yelling and I hadn't given anyone the chance to explain. I accused them of being selfish but right now, I'm being the selfish one for thinking only about how bad I'd been feeling. They didn't really deserve the opportunity to explain but I'll give them one anyways because I want every one of my questions to be answered.

Besides..............my throat is also extremely raw and dry from yelling.

"Alright, I'll listen. But I want an answer to all my questions."

Alpha John nodded "Fair enough." I sat down against the edge of the sick bed as he began to explain. While the sky outside turned from light to dark I listened as I promised. He told me about how it all started with the rogue attacks and how my position as Luna was threatened.

Apparently the rogues' knowledge of the pack was very limited despite the threat they were able to convey. For some reason, I being the future Luna was not their reason to hunt me down. My very person had brought the mastermind behind this to string a bunch of amateur rogues and turn them into killing machines. Because they wanted Lily Snow not Lily Walker.

When Alpha John found out about this, he pushed himself into investigation. But they were very careful with making sure that their trail was covered. All the information he gathered in the files were weeks of research put together. And he hadn't managed to create more of an explanation with what he already had.

As more information was revealed I started to understand his reasoning towards the decisions he made. But that didn't mean I was ready to excuse any of them.

"So the threat on my life was the big secret all along?" I asked

He shook his head "No. There's something else." I groaned as my body raged with pulsing anger.

Why does he keep beating around the bush?

Forget that! Ask him what the secret is! Julia demanded. She was hanging on to every word like her life depended on it. In all honesty, it probably did.

"What is it?" I asked, submitting to Julia's wishes and trying to keep myself calm at the same time.

"It has something to do with your family," he responded "We traced a few of the attacks to California and realized they've been following every person of your kin. Especially your family members with power in your mother's old pack."