Chapter 14

If Aiden knows then Declan should know as well. said Julia

                D’you think mom knows by any chance, or Angela? I asked her

                She shook her head No I don’t think they do. It seems they’re keeping all the girls out of this. There is a possibility that our mother might know but I doubt they told Angela.

                I am going to kill Declan I grumbled

                Not so fast! As much as I want to kill him to, we have to make him think we’ve got no clue about any of this.

                You’re right, but how do we figure out what he’s hiding? We don’t have much of a lead.

                We’ll involve Angela in this. She’s trustworthy.

                I shook my head No. I trust Ang but I kind of think this needs to be between us.

                Okay.

                I gave her a weird look Okay? You’re not even going to argue about this like you normally do?

                I only argue when you’re wrong.

                I smiled Wow this must be a big step for you. Admitting that I’m right

                Don’t push your luck. She growled

                I walked out of the kitchen and tried to make myself inconspicuous. It only worked to some extent. I was fine until Declan found me in the middle of the crowd. “Hey I was looking for you. Where’d you go?”

“Uhh….nowhere. I just wanted some water.” I answered

He looked at me like he knew something was up but at the last second, he let it go. We returned to the party.

Everyone left at around 11:50. We would’ve gone longer if they didn’t have school the next day. Wait…..scratch that; if we didn’t have school the next day.

When they all left, I started to head upstairs but a hand caught me.

“Hold up their birthday girl,” said Declan as his grip tightened on my wrist “ I still haven’t had my dance with you yet.”

I laughed “We danced at least ten times.”

“Maybe,” he said pulling me towards him “but not the way I wanted it.”

He pressed a button on the remote in his hand and the disco came back up. This time, a slow song played, so beautiful and perfect for the moment. My heart came up to my throat. This was the sweetest thing any guy has ever done for me. But it was also kind of scary because I’m a horrible slow dancer.

“This is amazing but, I can’t slow dance to save my life. If I try, I’ll trip and fall over my feet.”

His grin widened “Then I’ll be here to catch you when you fall.”

Before I could protest, he gently pulled me to the dance floor and we swayed to the music.

I thought for sure the dance would be awkward and weird because I was positive I’d be stepping on his feet the entire time. Turns out, I just hadn’t been dancing with the right people. We glided perfectly. My arms fit into his like they were part of a puzzle piece. I felt those familiar sparks run through my whole body.