Chapter 36

I knocked on the door "By the name of delicious pancakes I order you to open this door."

A tiny smile curved on my lips as the memory of Angela saying that to me replayed in my head. I leaned on my left leg at the other end as I waited for Ang to let me in. To be honest, I never actually expected her to do it but it came as a shock when the door creaked an inch. I took it as a good sign. Clearly, she had no problem talking to me.

I opened the door and walked in to find a very distressing sight. Angela's curls spilled over her bed as her head was tucked in between her arms. Her face was pressed against the soft cushion of the mattress while her shoulders rose in uneven patterns. She was crying.

Compassion welled in my chest as I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Ang," I murmured softly "please don't cry."

"How can I not," she sobbed raising her tear stricken face "Everything's falling apart Lilly! And when I need him the most, the bastard decides to leave me!"

My expression softens "I know what you're going through. Declan left me in a futile attempt to protect me, and he did it without any warning. Every day was a struggle because I was constantly upset and conflicted."

"Conflicted?" she asked

I smiled "Yeah. I didn't know whether to yell at him or hit him with a baseball bat."

That drew out a watery chuckle and I inwardly triumphed at making her laugh. Ang sat up as I moved closer to her.

"Listen Ang," I said "Guys at the age of eighteen have the mental maturity of a sophomore. And it doesn't get any better until.....well I can't even say. I don't know what the hell my cousin said to you but I do understand that he loves you a lot and would never do anything to purposefully hurt you."

"I know Lilly," she sighed "I just-I can't-I mean I don't-"

"Spit it out." I urged

She sighed again "He-he told me that he loves me and that he promises to make it up to me once this is all over."

My eyebrows crinkled "Then why did you slap him?"

"Because!" she cried out "That's not what I want! Why does the other pack need him to take them all down there. They have cars don't they? They can get around wherever they want without him. I just can't shake the feeling that he wants to leave so that he doesn't have to deal with all of these problems."

I gaped at her, fumbling over my words. The very thought of that entering into her mind stunned me into silence. I know the type of person Jason is and that's why I can confidently say that he'd never feel that way. "Ang, I-I can't agree with that," I said.

Her head snapped up "What?"

"Look," I said "My cousin is a smart ass. I'll be the first one to admit it. And let's not forget his irritating cockiness and stupid male ego. I can say easily that he's got more than a few faults but within that irritating, cocky boy is also a bunch of amazing qualities. One of them being his fearlessness. Jason never backs away from a fight and he cares far too much about others to leave them in a dire situation."

"I know but-" Angela mumbled but I cut her off.

"And let me remind you the reason that precedes the one I just mentioned." I argued " He loves you Angela! I've never seen the boy put on more than one shirt a week and now I see him grooming his hair and wearing axe cologne just for you. That's some serious commitment. He's never been so whipped in his entire life and it's all because he met an incredible, crazy, and awesome girl that has a high taste in fashion."