Chapter 38

Aaaaaahhh!!!!! Aaaaaaahhhh!!!!!

The scream echoed in my head and thundered within the room. I could hear the agony of this poor girl and it was more than enough to break my heart. I couldn't recognize who it was. All girls scream the same way, but Julia stirred within me. She could tell that it was someone familiar.

I hoped against all hope that she was wrong.

Drifting through the darkness in the room, I followed the sound of the terrible screams.

"LET GO!" I heard her scream "PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!"

"SHUT UP!" I heard the sound of a slap followed by another shriek.

I tried to move faster. Some monster was abusing this poor innocent girl and I could tell she was in no position to fight back.

"SOMEBODY HE-" the last part of her sentence was cut off by a muffled noise. It seemed like her attacker had shoved the palm of his hand against her mouth to prevent the scream. I ran further in the darkness, letting my hands feel the walls around me.

"C'mon," I whispered "C'mon! I've gotta help her!"

My legs felt weak and tired but I forced myself to keep moving. With each step I took, my body was growing more and more unresponsive. I couldn't figure out why until Julia's howl of pain made me stop for a moment. Immediately, a terrible odor burned in my nose and spread through every inch of my body. I paled when I recognized what it was.

There was large quantities of wolfsbane around this place and the scent was making me dizzy and vulnerable.

Julia whimpered as the smell increased by tenfold. "Evan," she whispered, crying out for our mate "Evan help me. Please."

Her pleading hurt me more than I could ever explain. She never begged and she never succumbed to any sort of pain. For her to be begging like this would mean she was in absolute agony.

"Jules," I said in a soft voice "Hold on...."

It was like she couldn't hear me "Evan. Lilly. Somebody get me out of this."

I was starting to lose connection with her. No, I can't lose Julia but I couldn't leave the girl. My legs kept moving against my own accord and eventually, I staggered to the opening of the door.

What I saw was horrifying.

A man was lying over a girl, hand on her mouth and ripping her clothes apart. The girl was continuing to shout and cry as he tore through her soiled shirt. She turned her face to the door and her eyes widened as she looked at me.

I gasped at what I saw. Red hair spilled over her right cheek, her green eyes were wide and full of fear, and freckles splashed across her nose.

"AUDREY NO!" I screamed and staggered further towards the man. I knew what he was doing and I knew her fate. I can't let this happen, I won't let this happen.

But the world was getting darker around me. Her screams were fading as my eyes fought to stay open. My screams of protest were dying in my throat as I sunk to the ground. The wolfsbane was draining me of all energy.

Through my hazy vision I saw the man scream and let his hand go. "You little slut! You bit me!"

"LILY! HELP ME!" Audrey shouted before my eyes shut tightly and I collapse against the doorway.