Chapter 22

One more minute. Just one more minute. I thought while angrily glaring at the clock. Why won't the stupid hand turn? I was merely 60 seconds away from having school end, meaning I can run home and get to work on those alpha files. Just the thought of doing something that could end the mad depression in my pack house had me craving the sound of the bell even more. I was reduced to fidgeting around while praying that the bell would ring.

My fingers twitched.

My foot was tapping

My eyes were slightly squinting

If I had to endure anymore of this waiting I think I'll burst. It was actually quite surprising. I never lost control of myself like this before. Then again, I'd also never been put in such a desperate situation.

 Just when I thought I was about to lose it and shout, the bell finally rang. No one got out of the class faster than I did. I was in and out of the high school with a speed that put the road runner to shame.

Unfortunately a little snag found the worst time to get in the way

Just as I reached out for glass doors, a buzzing in my pocket became a trip back to reality. I jumped a foot in the air before realizing it was my cellphone. Sighing, I picked it up "Yes."

"Lilly dear," chirped a very bright voice "How are you."

Even though I was in a hurry, this person's voice made me stop and grin from ear to ear "Mrs. Elridge is that you?"

"Yes. Good grief it's been such a long time since I've last seen you. I was starting to think you were avoiding me."

Immediately I felt guilty "I'm sorry. So much happened since I've last visited and things kind of slipped my mind."

"I understand," she replied "But is it too much to ask for you to come in today? Elena's been asking for you."

My smile faltered "Mrs. Elridge I don't know-"

" Please dear, there's been some things happening lately and Elena hasn't been feeling well. She really needs a friend."

Immediately I nodded " I understand. I'm coming." And then I shut my phone quickly.

Mrs. Elridge was the caretaker of the pack hospital. The children there were sent because they were born defectively. Their wolves could not connect with them at birth and it led to some drastic changes. Unfortunately our human sides cannot survive without our wolves.

In a way, this was like werewolf cancer. There have been children under the care of the hospital that managed to connect with their wolves and recover healthily however not everyone is so lucky. Elena was one of the girls I met a year ago while applying for volunteering at the hospital and I absolutely fell in love with her. She was sweet and sensitive and extremely shy. I came back week after week to see Elena and I unintentionally made friends with Mrs. Elridge.

It's been more than a month since I last saw them. I was held back from going after my mother got married because so many events took place after that. Now that I started to think about it, I felt awful. The little girl had me and Mrs. Elridge as her only friends. No one else really talked to Elena even though she was so sweet and beautiful. In fact, half the time her head was under a hood to cover her face so people wouldn't look at her. She only showed the ones she truly cared about what she looked like and she was breath taking.

Her hair was a deep shiny blonde that naturally fell to her elbows and her little 9 year old face held no imperfection. Sometimes I thought she was an angel child rather than a werewolf. What really drew you in were her eyes. They were an emerald green. I didn't even know how it was possible for anybody to have such dark green eyes but somehow she did. And a lot of times in the light you could see gold and silver flecks in them.