Chapter 18

Zayn leant back against the car waiting patiently for Ariella, who seemed to be taking longer than usual.

He gave Tyler a confused look.

‘You want me to go inside, my man?’ Ty asked. He was born in Texas, in America and had a take no crap look on his face.

‘Nah, it’s cool. It should be fine’ he replied, but he couldn’t deny the anxiety that gripped him.

Zayn shifted his feet nervously as more fans swarmed closer and people with cameras began snapping pictures.

‘Dude, you get into the car and I’ll handle this. It’s gonna get crazy’

Thankfully Ariella appeared, opening the café door and marching out. Her stance looked confident but he suspected from the tremble of her chin something had happened. Not wanting to jump to conclusions, he waited for her to approach.

Ty got the door and they sat inside. Tyler made way for his own car, hopping in and preparing to shadow the couple.

‘El, are you okay? You look kinda pale and tense’

She gave a bright smile, too happy, and not reaching her eyes and finally made eye contact.

‘I’m fine, honestly. I just feel a little dizzy’

‘Do you need anything? Ty had a first aid kit.’

‘No no, I’m sure it’ll pass’ she said.

‘Still up for tonight?’

‘Yup, can’t wait’ she started to sound like her normal self again. Zayn put the keys in the ignition and began driving.

Zayn was slightly put off however at her tight clipped answers.

‘Where to babe?’ he asked, hoping for some direction. ‘Maybe I could drop you off home and pick you up at 8?’ Zayn secretly hoped she would say yes because he had a little present in store for her when she got home.

‘Sure that works’ she replied, seeming a bit down. Maybe the surprise would cheer her up, it wasn’t a negative one for sure.

As they rounded up to Ariella’s neighbourhood, Zayn parked the car and got out to open her door.

‘Thanks Zayn. Sorry I was a bit quiet there, I just have some stuff on my mind’

‘No worries babe’ he replied, knowing when she was ready to share with him, she would.

Ariella reached up and kissed his cheek before heading up towards her house. Zayn watched her go, admiring her beautiful form until it disappeared behind the door.  Once he was sure she was inside he hopped into the car and pulled out his phone. 2 calls to make, he mentally checked them off. First up, he’d call Ty.

As he dialled the number, Tyler pulled up behind him and from Zayn’s rear view mirror, he noticed he was digging his way into his pocket to retrieve his phone. A second later, he answered.

‘’Sup’ came his deep, heavily accented voice.

‘Hey man. I’m gonna need you to stay around the area keeping an eye on things. I’m going to be back round at 8 to pick El up. We’re going out tonight, but since I’ll be with her, it’s cool for you to take the night off’

‘Whatever you say boss’ he replied.

‘In future, I think there should always be at least one of us with Ariella at one time. 2 at a time just seems to heavy.’

‘Fine by me’

‘Cool, see you around’

‘You too, bye’